surfski recommendations

psych!
i barely know what i’m talking about regarding skis, but some locals have paddled/owned Speedsters as they were made here, and they have a terrible reputation. horribly unstable and unfriendly to paddle. it’s rare that they are entered into any races that i’m aware of and certainly not a beginners boat. i tried one, and could barely paddle it, but could paddle a V10 on the flats my first go.

What about Futura?
Not that I’ll ever own a surfski but I am curious and like to keep up on the latest info. I didn’t see anyone mention Futura surf skis. Why? I’ve never paddled any kind of a surf ski so I won’t pretend to know anything.

I like their website and think that if I had money, I might like the shortest one (can’t remember the name right now). Anyway, it’s 24" wide and 15’ long and the bow entry makes me think it would be fast. Of course, when I say “fast”, I’m comparing to plastic SOT’s which is how they’re promoting that one - as competition for the plastic SOT market.

But they also have longer skinnier ones. So what’s the deal? Are the Futuras not up to par?

Futura
The S1-R and S1-X are built by Jude at Huki and rebadged for Vince. Different graphics and maybe some option combinations, but still Huki boats. The shorter sport at 15+’ will be well off the pace of the longer, narrow beam boats, but certainly quicker than a wide SOT. Have never seen an Inferno or Blade out east here.

IMO the Futura II is a relatively underappreciated and versatile boat, despite its somewhat frail build quality. I have the carbon one hanging in my garage right now, on loan for my wife from a friend. It’s maybe a bit quicker than some of the FSKs (Epic 18, QCC700, etc.), but surfs really well, turns on a dime, is exceptionally stable, and easy to remount. It’s more of an open desked FSK though, vs. a true ski in feel. Even the ultra stable XT and S1-R are still another step up in terms of balance skills required. This particular Futura II has done the Blackburn several times, been around Manhattan in the Mayor’s Cup, survived a Housatonic downriver event , and been battered in numerous other ocean and river races. It’s a good stable boat, been patched more times than one can count, but still tickin’.

You’re about my size
My Futura C4 has been a nice intro ski for me.

Good topic!!
I am getting ready to buy a ski up here in the Northeast (CT)…not sure which way to turn either. I have been lurking the boards watching S1-R and S1-X boat sales but haven’t made the leap yet. Now I am seeing the Think EVO boats (though want carbon) and am broadening my search.

Selling my new Anas Acuta (classifieds) as I already have a Greenlander Pro and BBK Aral so have enough kayaks in my quiver! Besides, MC (aka Trilobyte) is luring me towards these human powered hot rods with his tales of glory!! :wink:

This is gonna be a good, wet year!

ski choice
I concur with the others with the recommendation to paddle a ski before you buy if you can. There can be differences in the seat height/width, foot placement and other traits that you might like better in one ski over another. Carbon is nice but don’t discount a nice glass boat. They are very durable and resistant to knocks that happen when you least expect them, even when your carefull. It will leave you some extra play money also. I paddle a Fenn XT and would recommend it in a heartbeat. Great quality boat. The new design changes make it even better.

my thoughts
I’ve paddled a lot of skis and own a Mako 6. I’ve spent time in the Epic boats, briefly in a Huki S1X and did the Championships this past year in a Think Evo.

If you were going to buy something sight unseen, I don’t think you would ever regret buying an adjustable Mako XT in glass. It’s a great ski, it’s beginner friendly, and it’s highly resellable. Even if you graduated to something tippier and carbon, you would probably want to keep the XT, since it is good to have a more stable glass boat for rocky conditions and as a loaner boat. The price is also extremely reasonable, particularly if you can find a used one.

I’m sure the S1R is a great boat, but Huki’s prices are way, way higher. Hard to justify for a first boat, in my opinion. The V10 sport is also a great boat, but it’s also more expensive and I don’t think the build quality is anywhere near Fenn. I liked the Evo ok, but I found the pedal setup a bit quishy and non-responsive. That might just be the way it was set up, since it was a loaner boat. They’re all going to be very similar speedwise, especially at first.

I think of the Mako XT as the Honda Accord of surfskis- not as glamorous as some, but a hell of a good value for the money.

Andrew

XT
AF, was wondering if you might jump into the discourse, given your experience in so many skis. The XT does have a great cost to value ratio, particularly used. A fg XT is well made and very durable, while stable as can be, albeit heavy. Apples to apples, a vac’d fg Huki will be much more expensive, and significantly lighter also. In its carbon layup new, it’s not far off a comparable Huki-here the Huki has the weight advantage, also. My carbon/‘s’ glass R weighs in at 26 lbs., with adjustable pedals, hatch, kelp guard, and bungees.

Owned a fg XT for a while, as you know in large part on your valid recommendation, and thought it a great boat; a known quantity. Sold it promptly as soon as I advertised it. The XT was quite fun in rougher water, yet lacked that in less textured conditions. Conversely, the R always feels, for lack of a better descriptor, ‘alert.’ It’s responsive, yet stable. I also assisted in procuring a carbon XT for a friend of mine, not the most current model with the repositioned rudder and scalloped foredeck, but a new one nevertheless. Paddled it a few times before turning it over to him, for curiosity’s sake against the fg layup. It was quite a bit lighter than the fg, which increased responsiveness noticeably, and certainly acceleration, but it still had the same overall competent, but lacking in personality feel.

Obviously, much of this ‘feel’ stuff is difficult, if not impossible, to measure empirically. Numbers on the GPS are the numbers. This is where paddling the two boats (and their competition) really speaks volumes. Buy what you like if cost is not a consideration. I can tell you that paddling my R makes me appear to be a much better paddler than I am-it is that good. I agree also, hard to go wrong with an XT, and you just might want to keep it when/if you progress upwards. I certainly would not dream of subjecting my R to rock hits that the fg XT could field.

Smiling. As to car comparisons, I think the XT’s more like a 4 cyl. Camry (which I also owned)-good at everything, but rather ‘vanilla.’ The Accord’s a bit crisper, a bit more fun to drive. Like I said, subjective. Now, your Mako 6 is more like an NSX…

You guys are killin’ me
As soon as I’m out of work USED beginner/intermediate skis like V-10 Sports and XTs magically appear - in Florida! To top it off Bruce is getting EVOs!

No new (used) kayaks for me for a while though. Still need to sell my Mark 1 (I never made friends with mine either) and some other stuff.

Larryn,
Pics of the XT sent to your e-mail,I’ll be in your neck of the woods on the 14th and 15th.

HEX

Futura
The Futura II is a great boat but has way too many quality problems, mainly leaks and rudder issues. Check out the reviews here on P-net.