surge

pambrowning -
did you also win the charles river in a mainestar 17 ?? - the same dealer (surge) had loaned my boat to a woman who did so, and your name sounds familiar

She Just Won
the Blackburn women racing kayak division this past weekend. :slight_smile:

sing

Mainestar
I paddled a borrowed Mainestar in the Hull Snow Row a few years ago, but my RoTC boats have been a rec canoe, a Walden Vision, an Arluk II, a Jensen 17, Wenonah Cruiser, and the Surge. My Surge has done the Clinton 70 miler the past two years. A local woman paddler has raced her Surge for several years in the RoTC and Blackburn and another New England paddler has raced his Surge many times in the RoTC, and the Adirondack Classic and Clinton 70. And the Surge was 2nd & 3rd in the 2002 USCA Marathon Nationals womans sea kayak class. I believe it was 1st in 2001.

that’s it ! i think -

– Last Updated: Jul-13-04 6:45 AM EST –

brad from doug's group had told me about it when i got the boat 1 1/2 yrs ago - i wish i could take that cockpit, and put it in the surge - that, for me, would be sheer heaven !!

Pam-could you possibly give me the
dimensions of the Surge’s cockpit???

dimensions
pam can probably give you those, or kerry king, the builder, and very personable, at 207 882-9474- -

i want to correct the overall dimensions i gave - sing was a bit closer -

17’7.5" x 22.75" x 13.5" depth to top of combing and 38#

i had a very interesting conversation with mr. king yesterday - i wanted to remove the plastic seat, and replace with a dense foam/built in hip pad seat, similar to the one on the mainestar 17 - dealer said i could damage the boat with removal, and void the warranty - kerry explained that to build a 38# boat, every component must serve more than one purpose - the seat is glassed in in such a manner that it adds structural stiffness and strength to the hull, and while it could be removed, new bracing would be necessary to give the boat it’s proper design characteristics - he also said that he likes to sit higher in a boat to gain better leverage, so added a 3/4" pad to his seat to achieve this - he also pointed out that the snap in hip and knee braces could be custom cut to an individual paddlers needs, moved around till correctly placed, and then permanantly glued in, or left loose and changeable for seasonal clothing thickness - - this is one pretty well thought out boat, and built with a lot of ol’ yankee pride (no insult intended to others)

still pondering buying !!

Ayerloom-Thanks for your good info-
I would have answered sooner, but didn’t realize we were on page 2. I am also pondering buying one?

Surge
I was able try one out a few years ago, it was just great, but a little out of my budget at the time.

Fast, sleek, fantastic in tricky chop with fast currents, no need for a ruddder or skeg…just a brilliant hull design.

If it is in your buget and you can wait for delivery buy it.

-Bill

P&H Orion

Valley Nordkapp