Switching to inflatable

Contrary to popular belief

– Last Updated: Jun-17-13 11:58 AM EST –

There are not incompetent kayaks, just incompetent people who try and paddle them. Conditions are conditions. People get in trouble in decked sea kayaks as well. There is no "logical progression" as to what you will enjoy. Good to see you thinking about adding float bags.
Have fun watching the keyboard jockeys scream, I am on my way to Okinawa for some island hopping with my kayak and really hoping to get to Lake Khosvogol in Mongolia with an inflatable in August.

Interesting
That you bring up the 2 in Sandusky. I vividly remember that day, because it was a nice day in early spring with warm weather. It also was extremely windy that day. I was considering going out that day but decided to go mountain biking instead, because like I said earlier, I know Lake Erie. I know the water was frigid cold, just above freezing and that due to the heavy wind things could go bad quickly. So I stayed in. I have yet, in 29 summers living by Lake Erie, to see a mid summer water temp under 70 degrees. Last year it was almost 85 degrees near shore. Starting to remember why I stopped going on forums…

Ps: I would love a several thousand dollar boat with lots of features. I would get one if I could, but I am lucky to have what I have and will make it work.

You can get a sit on top, cheaper
You don’t need several thousand dollars for a decent boat.

The Sit-On-Tops I’m looking at to replace my inflatable are under $500!

This one is the front runner for me: https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_751757_-1__?color=Sand&N=670787849 Toss on some thigh straps and I think you would be better off than in the inflatable you are looking at.

Mind you, the lakes around here are nothing like you have up there. But, still…

I have no roof rack on my car. I plan on picking up a set of the $50 shaped foam blocks with cam straps and bow/stern bumper lines.

And, like I said, I’m a big guy with a bad hip/back. I find this inflatable I have IMPOSSIBLE to get in and out of if swamped. Heck, it’s a pain to get in and out of when launching from a ramp. You have to keep the bow on the ramp, straddle it and FLOP down into it, hoping to not flip. And, getting out means rolling over on your hands and trying to get one leg on the ramp without turning the whole thing over on you.