Taking Lessons

Aqua Adventures
I had the pleasure or meeting and training with Jen and Greg in FLA a few years ago. They were impressive paddlers and teachers back then. Since then I’ve heard nothing but great things about their efforts. I wouldn’t hesitate to reccomend them for anyone looking for high-quality isntruction.

Cheers,

Jed

Same thing here
My wife and I are just getting into the sport as well and we’re taking an intro class right now. We plan on following it up with a rolling class next month.

I definitely don’t have a problem paying a little $$ to learn from experienced kayaker’s.

We’re just 2 sessions into the program and we already can’t believe how much more comfortable we are and confident about our ability and such things as rescue techniques since the first time we sat our tails in a kayak.

I too love to read and watch instructional videos, but it really tends to tie things together when you have a pro show you step by step.

yikes
i always figured the whole bowing thing was out of respect for what i was trying to do, what others have accomplished (all levels) and could teach me (not only instuctors and partners, but also the whole ideal…otherwise, why bow to a photo in a corner?) and for what i could teach myself if i just opened up to the experience. a little personal humbling to remind me that indeed, i really don’t know everything.

to bow out of deference - as a mindless automaton, genuflecting by rote command really isn’t what it’s about. like everyting else in a dojo or anywhere else, there should be a good reason for your action.

if that kind of deference is given as a reflex without thought, then yup…thats a problem.

Yours Is A Healthy Perspective…
Respecting the practice and the partner and the teacher/coach is fine. It’s when you get beyond that it becomes problematic. Personally, I am not even into the bowing thing anymore. The only outward show of ritual respect is when I tap the other person’s gloves (practice stick or knife) just before we at it.

This latest incident is sad because it is not new I would hazard to say this is about the 7 or 8 very public disclosure of such abuse in the MA community that I know of in my years. And, I know of many less publicized incidents of behavior that is not sexual in nature but abusive nevertheless.

Looking at the incidents in the “Church”, we can see a parallel. The truth is this can happen in any activity where there is the elevation of “unequal” relationships and very much enabled by a certain type of behavior/relationship I consider “cultish.”

Rather than be all deferential, do as the zen adage prescribes: “If you see the Buddha, kill him.”

sing

self-image irregularities? L
Sorry - found that amusing. Just that phrase alone is worthy of a government grant!

The more refined the doctrine gets, the more I wonder: Are these programs about paddling - or some sort of association for Hereiophobics?

Training is great. Training programs willing to learn from other programs is great to. always two sides to things though. If you project that sort of interaction/sharing out logically over time, you end up with ever similar groups and mutually reinforcing groupthink. Having different approaches (ACA, BCU, KPA, whatever) has it’s merits too.

One vote for variety - but I probably have too many self-image irregularities for my vote to count among the more certifiable.

Had to comment on the Buddha thing
I read that book many years ago, and it took me a couple of readings to really understand the point. But it was definitely worth the time I spent thinking about it.

I do have a tendency to idolize people, usually before I’ve gotten to know them very well. (Time generally fixes that.) And when I am in that unhealthy mindset of thinking I’m so unworthy, and that the other person is so much better (or smarter, or fill in the blank) I’m vulnerable to all kinds of physical and emotional abuse.

I’m much better than I used to be (about killing the Buddha) but I had an incident just last year where I idolized the wrong group of people, then found out the hard way what they were all about. Some lessons have to be repeated from time to time, I guess.

Also, being a naturally shy and quiet person, I discovered years ago that there is a shark-like tendency in many people; that’s especially true in group settings. They will quickly identify those whom they consider to be weak and from there, a rather nasty group dynamic starts to emerge.

I developed a defense mechanism for that, which has been at least somewhat successful for me. Whenever I’m new in a group, I immediately come on strong… talk about controversial subjects, talk loudly, talk about guns (love that one!), all the while smiling and being really “outgoing”. People get the sense that you’re either alpha (don’t mess with me) or crazy (which is fine too). Most reasonable people will NOT mess with a crazy person. LOL

It’s a sad commentary that humans have to play such games, but that’s my perspective.

Glad You Understand The Reference…

– Last Updated: Feb-25-05 10:41 AM EST –

the corollary to that is (from the Buddha himself): "Be a lamp unto oneself."

There is this notion that there are others out there with these "great" skills that you may not get were they not to impart them to you. Some of this may hold water, but the fact, as I experience it, is that if you give it enough time and practice, you will find out on your own and incorporate what works for you. Sure, an "expert" can speed up the pace, but it is the person seeking that has to walk the path. The question is what does this "expert" expect of you in return for his insight and whether it is worth it.

For example, with paddling, I probably could speed along with "professional" instruction. But, guess what? I'm perfectly happy with my own pace and pushing myself the way I want. I feel nothing remiss in not taking "professional" lessons. If comes to martial arts, I am about the same way, except by nature of the art, you need the other. I'm not seeking an "instructor" but a partner. Utimately, the other person is but a "mirror", the reflection of which I can discern my own weaknesses. The mirror happens the ring. He can call himself whatever he wants - sempai, kohai, sensei, professor, guru, etc - but it is in the ring that we find the truth of him, and of me.

As someone whom I trained for awhile likes to say, "Don't tell me. Show me (in the ring)" The truth is to be respected. And, the truth is in the doing and not the talking. His respect for me (I think he has some) comes from not my so called "expertise" but the fact that I will lay it on the line, even when it means that my "expertise" fails me very so often when he knocks me on my quite fallible butt.

sing

Wow!
That’s sad and eye opening to me. I guess I’ve been lucky to practice MA in an environment that is respectful. I do agree that the most important bow, is to the person you are working out with. Your workout partner puts his/her physical well being in your hands to allow you to practice. That is worth a bow of respect.

I must say that all of the paddling instructors who have taught me have been completely attitude free, respectful, and downright friendly. One philosophical thing I have noticed in paddling (versus MA), it is commonly understood that you are the captain of your boat and that the safety of yourself is more important than the safety of a paddling partner. In MA (at least my exposure to it), the safety of your partner comes first. Both seem appropriate to me.

Lou

“Higher Conscious Through…
Harder Contact…” Google that.

Here’s one for you. First pic in the sequence…

http://www.uechi-ryu.com/oldsite/2001_uechi_trny2.htm

I don’t care your rank. I don’t care your size. Prove it!

sing