Talk me into/out of a Rendezvous

The problem I had with the Rendezvou was
weathercocking. The huge sterns acted like wings that moved the boat around like a compass needle. It was just a test paddle. Kevlar on a rock garden is never a good idea.

Talk Me Into a Rendezvous
Great title for a cheatin’ song.

Talk me into a rendezvous

You say it ain’t right and I know that’s true

But how I’d love to spend some time with you

So baby, talk me into

A rendezvous.

Canoeswithduckheads could do a lot better.

Center rib
So, I’m reading a lot of reference to the kevlar with “center rib layup”. Consensus seems to be that this is preferable…to what? What should I be looking for, and what if it doesn’t have it?

Overall construction

– Last Updated: Jun-13-15 9:51 AM EST –

Light layup Kevlar boats have some sort of bottom stiffener so they don't oilcan on the water. Its usually foam.

Later construction methods with partials of carbon have eliminated the need for bottom stiffness.

Im not worried about you selling it.. I do think that poling it will be an adventure. Wide Wenohah hips down low preclude poling while edging ala Harry Rock..

You'll be doing a fish census.

The bigger question: is that layup suitable for your intended use?

Look at your Millbrook boats. Do they have bottom stiffening foam..no. There is a reason. If rocks hit a foam core and fracture the foam and water seeps in the foam.you have a mess. The foam will eventually disintegrate. Repair is not easy.

Thanks, Kim.
This boat appears to be a '91 model. I’m guessing that means foam core. Not planning to use such a boat on rock gardens, but that could be a deal-killer.

The multiple references to “quirkiness” are putting me off too. I can do quirky all on my own. I don’t need help with that.

Besides…
…what I really want is an Indy. Or the Liberty would do.

That was pretty good.
:wink:

No, Ms. Jo, I could not.

– Last Updated: Jun-13-15 12:45 PM EST –

(but I'll try, anyway..."to meet you halfway. That's better than no way. There must be someone, for getting together"...these are desperate times I live in, when I end up quoting Partridge Family "rendezvous" diddies.)

"Oh baby, oh, baby, I'm talkin' out loud,
but I best be soft spoken, fer it ain't allowed,
to have ya right here, in this rendezvous.
Besides the Misses is a dead shot! She won't be aimin' at you!"

Well, well, whadda ya think!!? Maybe we can sell it to Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton, yeah?

No. I suppose not. Well, maybe then John Prine and Iris Dement.

"Oh, we ain't the jet-set.
We're the ole Chev-ro-lette set."

Holding out—
for Willie and/or Merle.

Kneeling a 'vous is OK
I spend more time on my knees in my Tuffweave Rendezvous with the tractor seat than seated. The only issues I have is in winter when I’m wearing my Sorels. It can be a bit of a wiggle getting them out when I want to sit or land. Portaging with the tractor seat is another thing altogether. I finally cut a block of foam that I can bungee on the rails in front of the seat. The Rendezvous is my go to beater solo and a good fast water tripper. For big water & wind I’d want something else though. I did know a guy who had a ruder on his. He liked to run the north shore (Superior) rivers and then paddle out on the big lake. He’d drop the rudder once he was on the lake.

adding a tripping load
or a few concrete blocks will stop the “quirkiness” or leave you fishing for packs…

Its got great primary stability and Wenonahs hull shape is best for quiet people… Not wiggly ones.

So Steve did you opt out?
I own a Sojourn and will never part with it. I did part with my tuff-weave Rendezvous with little regret. That low tumblehome bulge made me swim twice when it grabbed big wavy eddylines. The bow was a windvane. I even owned and enjoyed a royalex Argosy but the Sojourn beats them both. I do own a Mohawk Odyssey 14 which is my river whitewater canoe. The Argosy kinda falls in between these two so if I could only have one versatile solo,… it could be an Argosy. Luckily I have room for three solos. A Wenonah Vagabond being the third.

or maybe not
I’d pay $$ to see Steve pole my Argosy!

Yes - opted out.
Thinking a swim now and then from the Sojourn beats putting up with the sail. But mostly, the frequent repair issue…

No wigglies…
…another blow to the nail.