Tandem hull for rivers that a small person could manage to solo?

Not to derail this thread any further, but can anyone comment on putting an 8/9 year old child in something like an Old Town Heron Junior? Starting to throw that idea around at this point.

@archaicfacesfrenzy said:

Not to derail this thread any further, but can anyone comment on putting an 8/9 year old child in something like an Old Town Heron Junior? Starting to throw that idea around at this point.

Depends on the kid. My daughter loved (and still loves) canoeing and kayaking. We built a Pygmy Osprey 13 when she was 8. I will say from working with kids at at an Outdoor expo near Mason MI that kids are better with a double blade than learning to paddle solo with a single blade.

Yup depends on the kid. My grandson soloed at five. With a gaggle of adults around of course

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a used Heron Junior. Thanks all.

Had two friends who never canoed a day in their lives both set out on separate paddle expeditions. Keith covered 5 rivers, 4000 miles solo from Montana to Texas and won C&K Magazine’s, “Spirit of Adventure” Award in 2015 for his trip. First time in a canoe and he paddled 187 days to complete the trip. Another guy I know, Aaron, also never even been in a boat let alone a canoe, Paddled from Montana to Florida in a tandem canoe he solo’d. He covered about 4000 miles too.
Keith paddled a Clipper Prospector and Aaron paddled an Old Town 158 that was given to him.

@ paddletothesea, those are some pretty impressive expeditions, whether one has experience or not, but especially impressive for people with minimal experience.

aff - Here’s a fine tandem at a fine price if you can handle the weight; I expect it would be between 65 and 70 pounds.

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/d/17-9-sawyer-fiberglass-canoe/6570954081.html

OOOH a Sawyer Cruiser for $550!!! Looks in good shape. Should be 62 - 65 lb. Mine was before all the patching.

Someone should grab that quick.