Tandem Kayak - Advice needed!

Good to hear from someone who owns the boat! Yes, the outfitting is majorly improved this year! Makes it more important to check the model year when shopping.

I’m about 200lbs and my son is 40-50 lbs, so there’s a much bigger delta. I’m leaning toward the manitou because of that.

I weigh
About 200lbs. Do you own the manitou? It looks like a pretty good boat, and it seems like a respected brand name.

Lol
Yeah, that would be quite the load. I agree, and I wouldn’t be looking to have everyone in at once. At most, me, 5th old, and one other. My biggest concern with the 135 is trim when it’s just me and the 5yr old. I wonder if the 160 is manageable with just a single paddler.

Delta 20T
I’d recommend Delta 20T.

http://www.deltakayaks.com/sea-kayaks/delta-20tandem.html

Check out the seats.
I don’t know about most of the other manufacturers boats, but the seats in the Necky are very comfortable. for me the seat comfort is a big thing, if you’re uncomfortable you won’t paddle as much. Also like you said, you can adjust the back seat forward to try and get the boat level with you and your son.

Whatever you go with i find it’s really hard to truly get it levelled out perfectly, so i like having the rudder on a tandem to help keep straight

Another reason to go for the canoe
Another reason I considered and recommend the Mad River Expedition 16 canoe is that it has a square back that can accomodate a gas or electric outboard motor.

This may come in handy as I know my wife and/or kids do not have the same endurance as me. If they get tired or you get tire of paddling for four…just plop down the motor and go. Yes, I know its not a hard core paddling purist thing to do…but I assume you want to have fun with the family. Also if your wife is concerned with tippiness, there’s an on-line outdoor retailer called ‘Cabelas’ that sells removable outriggers that can be fitted to either a canoe or kayak. They recommend this if you want to stand-up and fish from your boat (see link)

http://www.cabelas.com/canoe-kayak-accessories-wave-armor-canoe-kayak-stabilizer-kit-2.shtml

Compares

– Last Updated: May-19-11 9:33 AM EST –

A couple of these boats being compared seem like apples to oranges compares (i.e. rec boats to sea/touring kayaks). Not sure what your skill level is and where you'll use it but factor in any of those needs too (boat width/stability/comfort/access in and out etc.).

Update
Well, I ended up going with the Necky, and boy am I glad I did! The only other tandem I’d paddled was the Pamlico 135t, and in it with my 5yr old son in the front, it didn’t ride even close to level. The Necky, however, is far better in that category, even with the rear seat all the way back. There’s more actual boat behind the rear paddler, and that helps out a ton. In addition, being able to move the rear seat forward (both seats are adjustable) helped trim it out even further, but isn’t necessary for a good ride.

Two cockpits instead of one large one does have its disadvantages, but it’s completely workable. I just wanted to update this to say that anyone looking for a tandem to be used by an adult and a child at the same time should definitely consider a boat like the Manitou II.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice!