Tandem or Square Back Canoe???

Model
You really need to find out the model before anybody can offer an opinion. Mohawk makes several models, some of which might be perfect for your needs and some of which would be a poor choice.

Mohawk
Generally a good company, though.

While it is true that you need to find the right sort of design, it is also true that Wenonah has never made bad canoes, and Coleman has made nothing but.

For a general purpose canoe, a 17’ Mohawk would almost certainly be worth having.

Diamond or stone
In 17’ Mohawk had a Jensen hull that might well be the best hull they ever had. It was made only as a composite, in all fiberglass and a kevlar version that only had one layer of kevlar, the rest was glass.

In royalex and plastic they made several 17’models. The Intrepid and the Nova. Both would suit your purpose for

starting family canoe. Nothing fancy, but nothing bad.

There were other models farther back in their history that may best remain forgotten. Floppy bottomed royalex, splinter causing chopper gunn fiberglass.

If you can snag any of the 3 mentioned in good condition for under $450 or so, you are on your way to canoeing fun.

Bill

family
my family got by for years on renting canoes. when we were little, we just got one the kids sat in the middle on foam pads. when my sister and I got older, we’d rent a pair of canoes. we didn’t do that often, though. now my parents own a 16ft Mad River they don’t use anymore because it weighs 80lbs (it’s the cheap layup).

My wife and I bought a used 16ft Royalex Wenonah Aurora that I found on this site’s classifieds. It’s been a good boat for us. Cost me $500 and a day trip across the Appalachians to pick it up. It has its shortcomings…like being tough to handle in the wind even when full of camping gear…but it’s a versatile boat and you’re going to run into shortcomings on versatile boats.

If you want her to appreciate a quality boat, borrow or rent a cheapie to use for a good, long time so she can get a feel for it. While her memory is fresh, get her in a super high-dollar boat long enough that she can appreciate some of the differences between them. At that point, suggesting something with a moderate price will appeal since it’s not as painful on the pocketbook as the high end model, but it will have many improvements over the cheapie to make life more comfortable/better.

My wife is small, so simply trying to pick up a cheap boat was enough to convince her it was worth spending more money to save 20lbs. And for car-topping, I can even handle the Aurora by myself in a pinch.

kids in canoes
two pieces of unsolicited advice -

get life jackets for the boys that are comfortable and lightweight so you don’t have 3 hours of complaining, or worse take them off.

and swimming lessons, even for the little guy. Every child who goes out on the water should know what to do if they end up in the water.

For a quality tandem it’s NOTHING
Someone wants to rant and rave over $1900, tell them their children’s positive outlook on having fun in life will pay for it many times over.

$.01

Paddling square stern

– Last Updated: Apr-17-11 2:09 AM EST –

Square stern will paddle at least 1.5 times slower than a traditional "pointed stern". There are few Y-stern canoes, though (stern narrows down to water). Good news is (not a personal experience) - square sterns and canoes wider than 36" (most squares are) can be rowed efficiently. Another good news is, square stern is the best hull shape for motor. Less "squatting" of the boat if you happen to ride solo, because of more buoyancy in stern, and more efficient use of motor than on the side.

"I say if you think you are going to use a motor all the time, get something like a jonboat, not a canoe. If there is a good possibility that you will use a motor sometimes, get a squareback. If you think it might be nice to try a motor sometime, get a traditional. You can always buy or build a motor mount".

I concur. And there is a problem with each scenario:
Jonboat - heavy, hard to cartop, can't be paddled and hardly can be rowed. It's designed for motor use only.

Squareback - good if motor is used more than 50% of the time or if you only paddle short distance like 1-2 miles, because paddling it is slow.

Traditional canoes with added side mount - for very occasional motoring or with a lot of caution, because this is the worst location for a motor. It will be tippy when you're starting the motor jerking the recoil rope; tippy rest of the time because of 40 pounds hanging on the side; noise and splashing because it's near you; motor getting in the way of your paddle strokes; impossible to use any cart without removing the motor first (because of tippy balance again).

Mad River Adventure 16!!!
Read the reviews on paddlin.Net

I’m a sea kayaker but i want to get one to take the wife and kids out on the water.

For under $900.00, you get a barge with seat backs, cup holders and a square stern that’s perfect for a 2-3hp outboard.

Having an outboard is great as kids and my wife who do not have the stamina for full blown expeditions