Tandems

Let’s get Cooldoc to buy it

That’s a great idea! n/m

Good points about carring & car topping

– Last Updated: Mar-19-07 5:14 PM EST –

Tandems are big beasts. No doubt. I think Cooldoc said something about being able to shoulder carry the rec open cockpit loon160t. As an owner of a loon 160T, I did it once. My advice, forget about it. The loon 160T is just way too heavy, and I'm a big guy. Now the smaller pamlico's look more do able. Deffinately try carrying one if you're going to do that as part of your boating plans.
But if you looking to paddle the wife and kids in calm water, look at a canoe. We have 3 kids, and like paddling altogether. Well the baby hasn't been out yet, but the boys have grown to love paddling with me. There is no way to get all of us in the loon, but a 17-18 foot canoe looks do able to me. Granted our kids are young and small, the oldest is 5. As they get older they can paddle themselves in the other boat. Just my thoughts on my plans.
To answer your question. We have not found our rudder to be needed on the Loon 160T. It is of course a different boat than you're looking at, but we've never needed ours.

Divorce Machines
A friend of mine who used to work at a paddleshop called tandem kayaks divorce machines. You are just too close together with long paddles.

Sync the strokes, not a problem NM

One more tandem experience.
My wife and I had paddled tandem canoes for several years, but after reading all of those “divorce boat” stories, and listening to my wife’s comments about how tippy my solo kayak appeared, I wasn’t about to push toward a tandem kayak. Following a day spent in a rented tandem in Door County, however, a tandem kayak was suddenly a good idea. We were leaning toward a rotomolded WS Pamlico 145T, when a used composite Pamlico 145 Pro crossed our path. The composite version is (was?) 15’1" vs 14’6" in length, still pushing 65 lbs. We trailer our boats, so we don’t normally face the rooftop challenge. My wife is more interested in the sunny-day lake cruises; in this application, I have experienced no need for a rudder, we opted to not pursue a spray skirt for such a large cockpit boat, but I did add airbags fore and aft. We total less than 280 lbs, but the boat seems to be slightly nose-heavy. Trimming by sliding the front seat back does help, but that reduces leg room in the rear seat. I’m expecting the trim to be just perfect when the grandson is old enough to go paddling with grandpa. Bottom line, very satisfied with the boat for recreational applications, and the marriage is closing in on 33 years. I definitely would not recommend this boat for extended tours, Lake Superior crossings, WW, or some of the other tandem applications discussed above. As usual, need the right tool for the job.

good deal
23 years here. Not sure where “divorce boat” was originated from. But I must point out, things could go bad when the head wind is blowing and the rear paddler (me) is getting the splash from the front paddler. This is when the rudder comes in handy.

Actually I do enjoy my tandem
Despite its weight and diffuculty in moving, I do enjoy my tandem. The wife and I are able to paddle and talk and spend time together. Or with the kids. Just have to keep in mind several things.

Your rec tandem will not perform like your skinny sea kayak. I believe the term is lily dipping.

It will be heavy and a chore to handle on land.

The rear paddler is responsible to keep in sync with the front paddler. The rear paddler does not set the pace.

The rear paddler should not spend too much time correcting the front paddler’s technic and cadance. This is where I think the divorce boat thing comes from. But if canoers can get along, then kayakers can too. If you have much better technic, take the front and don’t worry about how often the paddles bang.

A rec tandem kayak will only hold two adult people and a small child. We got us and our two boys in the Loon when they were 3yo and 1yo, and before their sister was born. When they got to be 4 and 2 they were too big. We get one adult and the two boys, now 5 and 3, in together no problem. But if want to get three adult people in it, forget about it. Try a canoe.

Have fun what ever you do.

Don

CLC Triple for 3 adults NM

a tandem will absorb more water
especially a KEVLAR tandem