Tarps for tripping

Hennessy
Hennessy hammocks makes a hex tarp with a cool feature; you can clip plastic funnel device to the ends and collect water.

I had one in BC last year but never got any rain so never used the tarp.

Lyn

flat vs. catenary

ā€“ Last Updated: Jan-20-07 10:32 AM EST ā€“

I prefer a flat tarp most of the time because you can rig it so many different ways, but a cantenary tarp works well when you have a group and don't want to go through the teaching curve. I used a Noah's tarp on plenty of trips and had no real problems, but if it's just the two of use, we take an 8X10 silnylon tarp every time.

-John
www.sourcetosea.net

Some good info!
Thanks, all, for your helpful replies. Based on what Iā€™ve read, the Kelty Noahā€™s sounds like a reasonable alternative at a reasonable price, especially compared to the NRS River Wing. Iā€™ll also look at the MSR ā€œMossā€ replicas. I think I may get both a CCS and a Kelty and try them both out on the NFCT and report back later in the year.

Really?

ā€“ Last Updated: Jan-21-07 12:28 AM EST ā€“

I've found setting up the Noah's Tarp by Kelty one of the easiest tarps that I've set up. Are we writing about the same tarp? String the main line between two trees and stake out the other two lines. Done and taut.
I'll agree on coverage. In bad rain storms, I'd much rather use my SilTarp. A rectangular tarp gives you so many more set-up options.
I've also used both in one of the most rainy places in the country and buggy also.

Penta Tarp
I have a Penta Tarp or an earlier version of this Snow Peak tarp and canā€™t stand it. Hopefully, the tent will be much better.

I
agree

for canoe/kayak I use a nylon tarp 12 X 16

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12167&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

For backpacking I use a syl tarp

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88644&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

I rig them with 15 to 20 foot of trip tease rope on each gromet

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/search/main.jsp?command=text&ip_text=triptease+rope&image.x=6&image.y=2

Best Wishes

Roy

Moss Parawing
The Moss Parawing 19 is the best tarp-type shelter Iā€™ve ever used. Relatively easy to put up and remarkably stable in winds. Itā€™s still available from a number of sources such as www.clavey.com (800-832-4226) for about $230 plus shipping.

My only complaint about the parawing is the weight of the two 8ā€™ poles. Does anybody have an idea about where I might obtain some lighter weight telescoping 8ā€™ aluminum poles that would work with the parawing?

George

just the tarp??
is it me or does it look vaguely like a parawing/hexawing from moss???

campmor versatarp
treated nylon 10ā€™x10ā€™: i like mine, it has lots of webbing loops instead of grommets. it was ā€œonlyā€ $39.95, pretty inexpensive compared to some. its light, durable, and packs small. iā€™ve had mine for years.

Tarps
1) Integral Designs - Several options, all excellent. I have used most of them.

2) Sew your own. Youā€™ll get exactly what you want, and if you donā€™t like it, just remodel it.

choices
GoLiteā€¦they have a coupleā€¦adjustableā€¦

black diamond has carbon poles for their 'midsā€¦

you can visit your local kite shop and explain what you wish to doā€¦the SLE Rev Leading edge rods would do VERY well for this!!!

rob

It does
It does, but Iā€™ve never been able to get it to withstand wind in any way that I would consider required for a tarp. I definitely wouldnā€™t want to camp under the tarp I have. My Snow Peak tarp is now five or so years old, so maybe they have improved the design.

Completely agree John
I find it far easier and faster to set up the flat tarps in weird locations. Noahs ark is harder to get taught due to itā€™s cut. Regular grommeted nylon tarps are cost effective and excellent.

I went the cheap routeā€¦
I have two of these:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=254694

and they work pretty well. Sportsmansguide used to have 2 sizes of them, and I bought one of each. We donā€™t always need / use it, but one or both go with me on every river camping trip, just in case.

-Tracy

you could make your own. . .
Maybe you like versatility, maybe you like lightweight, maybe you like inexpensive. . .

But if you want what no one else sells, then you can always make it yourself.

http://www.ray-way.com/tarp-nettent/index.shtml

(Just one example; you could find more.)

versatarp problem
I donā€™t much like my versatarp after I had it suspended by the middle tie-off. In the night the wind came up and ripped the tarp, like pulling a zipper, leaving me with a foot-long hole in the center of my tarp. I patched it and still usse it, but never again will I buy a tarp that isnā€™t rip-stop.

Also, after camping with some well-known Canadian trippers, they shy away from nylon altogether, say itā€™s a fire hazard. They go with the silver poly tarp despite itā€™s bulk and weight.

Noahs and NFCT-warning
If you are doing the NFCT, do not bring along a little Noahā€™s. Get the bigger one if the design is of interest.

The Noahā€™s cut is difficult because there are picnic tables at many campsites and those tables have a ridgepole that is about eight feet up. The catenary cut was never designed to be hoisted that high and doesnt give as good a coverage as a rectangular tarp.

Thats exactly why I phased out my Noahs. The Tundra Tarps are expensive but I wanted one that was big enough for table coverage on the NFCT and yet light enough to portage around in unmaintained areas of northern Ontario.

ridgepoles?
What part of the NFCT were you on? I thought those ridge poles were unique to the North Maine Woods.

They sure do make setting up a tarp easy. We use a 20x30 blue tarp on those trips. You can have it up, staked out and the kids playing card games at the picnic table in about five minutes on a rainy day.

Not NFCT code
I think youā€™re right. Iā€™ve only seen them in the Northwoods, and Iā€™ve heard they are at most camps along the Allagash (which is part of the NFCT). Iā€™ve never seen them in NY, and have not been on any other portions of the NFCT.

-Chuck

Thanks madmike
I followed your link to www.owareusa.com last Saturday. They had a large solo tarp with bug screening listed for $19 with free shipping. Too good a deal to pass up. Talked to Dave, the owner, and he explained this is a prototype hence the deal. Canā€™t wait to try it out. I may be sleeping in the backyard soon!