Tempest 145 vs Zephyr 160, beginner adv?

So you bought a skirt
yet don’t own a kayak? I am new to all of tjis and do not understand this. Could you explain?

Just a perspective
For a near average sized paddler it will usually work out that their typical skirt will work across more than one of their boats. This tends to fail when you have munchkin cockpits, like one of my boats, or require extremely large ones. But even for me, as long as I don’t mind being a little less dry in the Vela, I can use a Seals 1.7 on either of the boats that I brought to Maine this year. Officially the Vela takes a 1.2, but for the mild conditions it was easier to use the 1.7 rather than the for both boats. That meant I was only rinsing and maintaining one skirt regardless of what boat went out.

There is a risk that the OPer could find the neo skirt they got is a less ideal fit in the boat they finally buy, but it appears they are dealing with a good outfitter and I expect were advised well.

The big clue is nylon versus neoprene. If you are going aggressively after skills, like the OPer, you end up spending a lot of time reattaching the darned skirt after it came off when you did not want. Neo skirts stretch and you can set it and forget it, to get on with the work you want to do.

Welp! It’s done!
OK so call me impulsive but I’m the proud owner of a lime green Zephyr 155. I just couldn’t help myself.

Took her out for the maiden voyage today. First time solo as well, which may not have been the best idea but I managed unscathed.

I have experience in the Z155 but this was the first time I didn’t have someone along as a buddy so everything felt just that much more… real. Every wave and every shimmy made me twitch a little. Boat is very responsive to the point of exhaustion, until I learn to temper my reaction. I was very twitchy about staying upright, probably for more than I needed to be. All that microadjustment was very tiring so I ended up on the water for about 45 minutes doing a few laps of Toronto harbour before calling it a success.

I’m not in any way frightened of the boat and I am looking forward to taming it to do my bidding. Right now the fact that I was solo was more disconcerting than the new boat. I know self rescue and I was fully prepared to execute so it wasn’t even a fear of going swimming. It was more that I wanted to spend every second in the cockpit getting to understand the feel of the boat.

I wanted to spend a little time holding the dock so I could practice finding the edge of the boat but it was a little busy so I didn’t have the opportunity. I think understanding where my tipping point is will also keep me from being so incredibly twitchy in the cockpit.

Anyway, I’m sort of rambling because I just got back from an amazingly tiring but fun first ride in my /own/ /freakin/ /boat/ and I can’t wait until tomorrow or Wednesday for another go. Already signed up for rolling classes indoors so this winter is going to be fun as hell!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Congrats!
You will settle fast. Enjoy the boat.