Tempest 170 vs Sirocco

everyone involved
the investors don’t like to see serious issues in QC anymore than the consumer or the retailer. like I said it’s getting BETTER.

so let’s say we move on?

steve

maybe the investors
should buy retail

Yikes
It seems I’ve stirred the pot!! What does everyone think is a fair solution? Bear in mind that the boat was used as a demo for one season and I paid about 1/3 less than list price.

Steve: I am new to this forum…what is your connection to WS?

ahh…
first of all, Steve Scherer is one of the designers that worked on the Tempest and the Tsunami. I don’t know him personally but have seen his posts/responses for the last year.

The tempest 170 RM I bought last July was also a demo. And Flatpick/Steve, correct me if I am wrong but the demo boats are clearly stamped on the back as demos and are not first quality. I couldn’t find what made mine a demo but I was assured that structurally this was not a concern specifically because of the liabilities. Additionally, reputable paddleshops are supposed to use the boats as demo models and can also rent them out for one year before they can sell them. I will tell you that my boat was scratched all to hell on the bottom and on the sides…employees did not worry too much about sliding it in and out of the wooden racks and dragging it over sand and coral. Has some good gouges in it but it paddled great.

My skeg cable was kinked a bit when I got it and was fixed by the paddleshop no charge. I don’t know exactly the structural issue with your skeg box but it strikes me as odd that it was a demo for a year and repaired with silicone? Why was it a year wait until this was noticed? There seemed to be an assumption with your post that it was repaired that way at the Wildy facility. Sorry but something doesn’t sound right.

Paul

Demo?
I did not see a demo stamp so I am assuming it was new and used as a demo. At any rate the sales bill says ‘demo’ It was also all scratched to hell on the bottom as well…way more than I thought a demo could be. I was getting a litre of water in the stern hatch on the calmest of days so when I investigated I found the silicone sealant. Anyone have an idea that would be a fair solution to this mess?

what mess exactly?

– Last Updated: Jun-12-06 12:54 PM EST –

is this correct:
You bought a demo boat, it had a leak, the dealer fixed it.

It's quite possible the dealer didn't know the exact condition of the boat other than "it's a used demo boat".

How long did you have it?

A fair solution is
to get your money back and take Sirocco instead if it is from the same dealer. That’s more than I would do.

Dealer is very fair.
I am not dumping on anyone. The dealer has been very fair with me and is fixing the boat. He told me that if I was still not happy we could look at another solution. I don’t think there is a conspiracy here to sell/fix bad boats.

could you
ask the dealer to email me, asap.

I’d like to know the extent of the repair and if it’s worthy of a replacement.

now if the skeg tube just came off and THATS all that’s wrong, it’s EZ to fix, but if the actual box is trashed…

have him email.

TIA

steve.scherrer(at)kayaker(dot)com

Pay attention Cliff
Dude. READ. READ again. then jump to conclusions because you read something wrong. Outrageous worked at one of the biggest(if not the biggest actually) paddleshops in the area and never said anything about them sending their faulty boats to some shop to get fixed. actually he told me in person they send em back to confluence if i remember right. I’ve actually bought a boat there and visited one of their demo days.

If i compare quality the Cape Horn i owned, to the Necky i own now. Cape horn- a bunch of stupid details that haven’t been thought through BEFORE putting boat into production-like putting seat bolts on a ridge in the hull where they physically don’t fit flush or don’t seal. naturally they leaked, and anywhere the deck lines go through, they didn’t put enough plastic in the mold or something, and most of those spots leaked right through. Or the hatch strap design that meant the bolts that hold em have to be fairly lose and thus un-watertight to work. and leaky bulkheads.stupid things like that. plus sucky outfitting for a 17 footer(but i shouldve been watching what i bought. i didnt know better at the time).

My necky on the other hand, looks like all the details have been well thought through,but assembly line quality control was mediocre with some missed fasteners,tethers that untied themselves in first couple paddles and one neo hatch cover that split a seam. all of which is very easy to fix minor stuff necky is gonna send me needed replacements for,so no real complaints.

The evidence is in front of us, too
Sure, go ahead and let the unhappy customers complain.

But then you have to let the happy ones state the evidence that is right in front of THEM, too:

A kayak that is in excellent shape.

One year after receiving my Tempest 165, I have yet to experience the loose hatches or the leaky skegbox or the bad plastic some people have mentioned.

I don’t doubt there were some defective ones. I’ve also seen defective kayaks from other companies. Caveat emptor. Send it back and get a replacement.

Whatever you do…
don’t buy the Scirocco thinking it will be in perfect condition, either. Any maker can have defects.

I used to have a Squall that had several defects, new. At the time I was too inexperienced to realize they were defects.

When I went to pick up my Tempest last year, believe me, I scrutinized it very carefully in the store before finalizing the paperwork.

Caveat emptor, no matter who, what, where, when.

Tempest Nirvana
I was fortunate enough to paddle a demo (beta) Tempest for close to a full year BEFORE I bought my Tempest. Prior to this purchase I was a happy and proud owner of a NDK Romany HV (still own that boat).

I was lucky enough to live near a fantastic paddleshop with strong capabilities.

Both my wife and I own and paddle Tempests (T165 Pro and a T180 Pro) and have had nothing but outstanding service from Wildy and the paddle shop serving them.

Even with the comments about recent QC at Wildy, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase my next kayak from them.

Wade

Decision made
Bought the Sirocco…sweet boat :slight_smile:

just curious–why the sirocco (sp?)
i’m think of a tempest myself. thanks.

glad you are happy
now comes the fun part…get it on the water and paddle!

Paul

Chose Sirocco
over Tempest for several reasons. The Sirocco cockpit does not have a keyhole shape and as such lets me lift both knees up comfortably if I want to stretch. Although the Tempest cockpit was outfitted much better (hip and thigh pads) I think I can customize the Sirocco to suits my needs. It was also easier to get in and out of the Sirocco. The Sirocco has virtually no noticeable chine and I like finding that sweet spot myself–and it definitely has a sweet spot; Tempest definitely has a bit of chine to it and initially feels more stable even though it is narrower. Oh yeah, a new one is about $300 (Cdn) less than a Tempest. The quality in both boats was excellent–I did like the skeg system and rubber hatches on the Sirocco better. The Tempest was noticeably faster, however.

yes, brazil…
can’t wait to get my boat too. wow, it’s gonna be a blast!

what boat is that Tacoma?
Which one did you decide on?

Did I miss something?

Paul