Tent Air Conditioner Plans...

Sandyaker
Sorry. I should have looked at the link and read your message more closely. I imagined rather than read that you were referring to some sort of evap cooler.

Try this; Purchase a 12 VDC muffin fan, and a scrap of 3/8 ply.

Since your on the “cheap” I won’t talk about epoxy or poly resin, just cut out the plywood to fit the ice cooler as the picture depicts the unit at campmoor. Cut out a hole for the fan, cut small holes in the other end for pulling air into the cooler, liberally paint the ply with some old oil-base paint (to moistureproof it) mount the fan to blow outwards and rig a wire harness for whatever appropriate battery you devise.

Here is a link for the muffin fan:

http://www.blowerwheel.com/fan-muffin.htm

Good luck!

too much coffee
and not any good answers, it would be great for hot summer tent camping in florida

Red Green?
Never heard of them other than on a previous thread!

Andy

well
like what was mentioned earlier, SWAMP coolers do not work in HIGH Humidity environments… Out west they are OK… cause its a “DRY HEAT” best bet and easiest would be to still get a Room AC unit and put it in your tent, if you have access to one… I know you have tried the Fan Idea.

I’m in Texas. Bought one of those
ice chests that’s supposed to keep ice for five days. In our heat and humidity, which is similar to your part of SC (lived in Greenville for several years too)it didn’t work. I had very little of 20lbs of ice left by the afternoon of the second day. The campmor picture showed the chest open. The ice won’t last long with an open chest.

Dogs
I don’t know if I’d go to all this trouble for a camping trip, but this portable AC method that you posted sounds like it might help me with my dogs. Occasionally my wife and I will want to go to a party or barbeque, and we’ll be gone longer than my dogs will be comfortable “holding it”. If it’s a little toasty outside, I don’t want to leave them in the car, but perhaps with this ice cooler AC method…

What about the double insultated
ice chests? There is one guy who goes canoeing and is said to be able to have cold drinks and ice left after a week. I need his pointers.

I had found a website in the past

– Last Updated: Jun-13-05 12:15 PM EST –

where a guy made one from a styrofoam ice chest. One side had a hole and the fan was up against it. The other side had a hole for the air to come out. The fan blows over the ice and cool air comes out the other side.

Here is the one I had found I think.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/Portableairc.htm

Disabled cooling
It’s not a tent cooler, but one of these products with a bit of shade could do wonders in a pinch.

http://industrialsavings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=heat_stress

Years ago someone came out with the original neck cooler and I got one for my late wife who had MS. It worked so well I wish they would have had the vests back then. As others have pointed out, evap cooling works best in a dry climate. This stuff is still worth a try for short term use in more humid areas. I’ve never done business with the above vendor. You can find these products all over.

Taj