Tent Campers

Pop up w/ rack
I have a Colman pop up with a high rise rack that clears the A\C unit. I can cary 2 kayaks and 4 bikes or 3 kayaks on the top.

The set up takes a little time, but when I go camping Im not in any hurry.

One big drawback to the pop up is if it is raining durring setup or tear down.

I have a PUP. Really like it. It does take some time to set up and take down but that’s just part of the deal. The extra comfort is worth it and I have tried to view that portion as part of the “fun” of having a PUP. They definitely have a “neatness” factor to them since your whole house folds into a small package.

Definitely get AC! If you camp anywhere hot in the summer you will be very glad you have it.

Also, in loud campgrounds where you have inconsiderate neighbors at night (in other words most campgrounds) you can run the AC or the fan to drown out the noise. Works well.

Matt

Coleman/Fleetwood are good campers,
and A/C is great when temps are hot. Campers absorb and

compound the heat without A/C.

Good condition used popups are hard to find, but there are a few on the market. Good luck!

Jayco 10X
Although we still frequently camp in tents, we enjoy our Jayco 10X. Weighs around 1500-2000 pounds, and is easily pulled with our Toyoto van. We don’t have A/C, and easily haul all four bikes on top (along with 2-3 kayaks on the roof of the van). We camp in WI state parks, and because we have a 12V battery, we can get into 95% of the sites. In Wisconsin state parks, the best sites are non-electric, so I’m very glad we have a battery and no A/C. Last year, it was >90°F (and humid) every time we camped, and we did fine with just fans.

Our kids are 6 & 7, and we’ve camped regularly for 10 years, including numerous trips when they were little babies. You get used to not having A/C. Our Jayco comfortably fits my husband (6’7") and I, our two kids, and a couple of their friends. We’ve had sleepovers in the camper in the driveway with myself and up to 8 kids, and everyone slept fine. The kids help us put up the camper and take it down, so it takes about the same time to set up camp with the camper as it does with tents. We never cook in the camper (even Beenie Weenies) and generally spend significant time inside when sleeping at night, taking naps, or playing cards when it’s raining.

It’s great that you’re getting the kids started with camping when they are young, so whatever rig you end up buying, enjoy!!

AC in Wisconsin vs AC in Carolina
In the parts of Wisconsin I am familiar with, it may be 100 deg (although maybe not that often) at 1300hrs on an August day, by 2100 hrs it will be maybe 65 deg or less. In the Carolinas if its 105 that day unless it rains or a front comes through, it will be 95-100 deg that night.

We have a…
Fleetwood/Coleman Bayport. ‘97’ Still in great shape. Total travel rate at 2300 lbs. Just plain jane. We do have a travel potti that is not attached to the camper and is easily cared for. Ours doesn’t seem to hold the smells like mentioned above. Maybe for the trip but when we come home and put it back up to clean or dry, a few days in the sun takes out the smells. No AC but we camp mostly in the forested sites that dont’ get a ton of sun. I would try to find used if possible. The new ones could cost as much as a solid camper.