Tents for solo

Chair?
Its just a LOT of trial and lots of errors and learning what I dragged around and never used.

Clue I now can get all clothes in a 20 liter dry bag. In the old days it was really full garbage bag!

Of course there is no wardrobe change…and ahem the Tilley stays filthy.

Its a BIG pack a CCS Expediton.

I passed the twenties four decades ago :slight_smile:

Is the sag factor gone on the SD
Clip Flashlight. I didnt like how the fly just got stretched and saggy…which led to some wetness getting in.

Thats why I like my North Face Tadpole better. One more pole yes but two of the poles run the length of the tent and keep the fly taught and off the tent.

That said I have lots of miles on the Clip Flashlight…about 240 nights. I did complain once when I (in charge of packing) mixed up the bag with the Comet CD and the Clip and off two of us and one large dog went camping. We paddled about 15 miles down the lake and it was going to be a cold and stormy night.

And smelly. We all had to jam into the Clip Flashlight. We tried to keep the golden retreiver out but she would have none of that.

tarptent
makes many great options for lightweight solo shelters. some are able to be pitched fly first so the body of the tent stays dry and is clipped under the fly once it is pitched.

you’re equivocating

– Last Updated: Aug-16-09 7:51 AM EST –

Cheap has two meanings: 1) inexpensive, and 2) poor quality. Everyone would agree that a poor quality tent is bad news. But what I think waterbird is saying is that you can get a quality tent for cheap. For example, I just got the REI Quarter Dome UL Tent for $132 on clearance (http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767268), not bad.

You say it's not a rhetorical question, but it is: You assume a $100 tent can fail in the rain, but that a $400 tent can't. But what if it's the same tent? That's what we're saying: get a high quality tent for less. Rain doesn't care how much you paid.

REI Outlet
I use the Sierra Dome 2, not the greatest tent, but only $100 and 5 lbs. Can’t bring myself to spend another $250 to lose 1 lb.

I would agree
if that were the only alternative–inexpensive OR high quality–

but since you can get a high quality solo tent for $100 ($125 - 20% = $100), it’s a false alternative

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/766994

Clip Flashlight
I’ve used an SD Clip Flashlight happily since about 1982. It was a great 1 man tent but last year the fly finally started leaking.

I was torn between simply replacing the SD or getting a lighter more expensive tent of untested(by me) design.

I decided on the MSR Hubba which shaves 1 lb off the carry weight at the expense of some interior room. Hope I made the right choice.

Tommy

For tarp affectionados
Don’t get me wrong - I love tarps. But as with any shelter system there are plusses and minuses. A good read is Bryan Hansel’s account of his solotrip in the BWCA. He has tons of experience, and he still had some issues with using his tarp. A good read.

http://www.nessmuking.com/articles/solo-in-the-boundary-waters-fall-2003/

For those of you who are not familiar with Bryan’s website, Nesmuking, it would be worth some exploration time. Much useful info and very entertaining.

Jim

Sag factor
There is a bit of stretch between completely dry/sunny and very damp/raining. But I’ve never seen the fly touch the tent in even the worst conditions. Not sure if they had it on the older versions but there is velcro on the fly interior that attaches to the tents poles that seems to hold the fly taught over the tent.

I can imagine 2 people and Greydog jammed in my Clip Flashlight 2. We’d be VERY good friends by the next morning.

Randy

freestanding or not?
I don’t hear that discussed much these days…

Back in the old days (10+ years back), freestanding tents weight more than non-freestanding ones. So it was akin to a religeous discussion between the two camps. A lot of people have both and take the freestanding one when weight is less critical.

I guess nowadays freestanding tents got pretty light. So the debate kind of felt on the side?

I’ve long ago made the decision to go with freestanding tents. The ease of setup (no need to hunt for “stakable” ground) was the main factor. The extra weight, even then, was a trade-off I was willing to accept.

Actually in most discussions here

– Last Updated: Aug-14-09 12:57 PM EST –

(not this particular thread) folks that espouse inexpensive are actually touting "crappy" gear and want others to buy in that paying anything for quality is a waste of money. Not sure about Arkay, but I for one have a knee jerk reaction to these discussions anymore.

you still need to stake a freestanding
tent.

Its amusing to see people chase one caught in the wind…Sometimes not so when the tent lands in the lake.

I prefer them as if the site is a mistake (as in camping on what actually pools water like on Canadian Shield when you get duped into a grassy area that covers a bowl of rock) its easy to move. Or if your spot proves to be foot uphill. Plus if the wind uproots a stake the tent does not collapse.

Most freestanding tents do not have freestanding vestibules …

I find a freestanding tent easier to pitch in a high wind…albeit with a couple of corners staked.

This makes a good read.

http://www.hilleberg.com/Home.htm

Love my Henessy Hammock
Bought one of these and took it out my last trip and have to say I loved it. Was way more comfortable than my tent, packs smaller, easier to setup/take down.

The North Face
I use the TNF Tadpole 23. Light, well-built, too small for 2 just right for 1. If you look around you can find it on-line for under $170. http://www2.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?model=APE7&site=NA

agree with tideplay about Alps
I have a zephyr 1.0 and absolutely love it for a single. I have seen other much more expensive singles and don’t see the advantage. But then again I am not a hiker.

paul

Eureka Pinnacle Pass
I use the 3 version. Aluminum poles and 6" diameter by about 19 inches long packed. Really, you can have three smaller bundles. It’s about 7.5’ square.

Nice
Very good thread. I’ve came back to it a few times when looking at tents.

I’ve got a great tent
If in my humble opinion you want one of the best tents for a paddler. Look no further than the Eureka Alpenlite 2xt. It’s a 4 season tent with the weight of a 3 season. It has internal paneling that you can zip up when it’s cold or if it’s warmer you can open them up. It has a gold colored rain fly, which at first I didn’t like, but I found out it really helps on those crappy windy days that you can’t paddle and your stuck reading the back of a mountain house entree 20 times. You think the sun is finally coming out, so you stick your head out the door and realize that it’s still gloomy. It’s freestanding so that’s a plus as well, it weighs in a little of six pounds. Like I said in my humble opinion I give two thumbs up!!!

Good tent . . .
. . . a little overkill for summer paddling. You can get the same performance from the Eureka Backcountry I or II cheaper, lighter, smaller.