Thank you for the advice! (Pix of my new kayak)

These two cameras have served me well so far. For general shots, I just leave it out and ready:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1477205-REG/olympus_v104210ru000_tough_tg_6_digital_camera.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

For times when I want wildlife shots, this one has far more reach, about the limit of what I can hand hold and get decent shots, and is tough, but only splash proof:

1 Like

There are a fair number of true waterproof cameras, generally rated to 20-33’. Just search online. They are fairly compact and in many case are less expensive than many of today’s phones. A lot less risky than using a phone, easier to hold onto and secure. No fumbling with taking a camera out of a case when you want to take picture…

I have been using a Canon D10 that my brother gave me in 2009 and my wife has a D20. There are newer and better cameras out there, but what we have is good enough. Rated to 20’ and have been in the water plenty of times with no problem Some people use their cameras for taking under water shots from their boats or when snorkeling.

For a real camera, a DSLR with interchangeable lenses, there are waterproof housings which allow all of the different buttons and functions to work, but these cases are bulky, heavy so as to be neutrally buoyant, and often cost more than the camera itself. Many are rated to depths of 200’ or more. These are generally used by divers.

1 Like

And off we go…

GAS? …gear acquisition syndrome.
:smile: I’m a frequent sufferer. I’m trying to cut back on Internet browsing. It often gives me GAS.

I used to have Olympus camera bodies that were splash proof and somewhat immersion proof. They were pricey and I concluded that since I wasn’t a pro, I should downgrade to regular bodies. Note I really miss my Olympus DSLR.

I carry a Galaxy S7 in my shirt pocket, about $100 from Tracfone. Supposed to be waterproof to 4’ but I’ve only accidentally tested it to about 1’. It takes better pictures than my waterproof Nikon Coolpix W300 ($350) but the Nikon has a nice zoom and the phone does not (so I carry both). I used to carry a DSLR in a Pelican box until I bought the Nikon.

I also track all my trips with a phone app. Just got back from one - 10.1 miles, movement duration 1:59:29, 5.07 mph while moving, and I can upload it to Google Earth. Dunno why I need to know all that though.

1 Like

I’ve wondered about that little Olympus. It’s a step down from what I’m used to with my Panasonic mirrorless body. But it might be better than my phone. I’m not sure about that though since the phone had quite a bit of image process in going on that compensates considerably for the tiny sensor.

Part of me really does wonder… “insure it and just be careful.”

It’s a good camera for what it does. I leave it on a strap around my neck, with the float that came with it attached. With the float, it, well, floats, so no risk of losing it by dropping it. It gets wet a lot, gets banged around a lot, and takes nice photos with good light. It was a little more expensive than my phone, but is more rugged and waterproof, plus is easier to use than my phone is for photography. And, this way I am not risking my phone, which is important for other things, so I do not want to lose it, it stays in a waterproof bag in my hatch. But I will say that the viewfinder sucks, so I take lots of photos to get some good ones.

Both cameras are far cheaper than my DSLR, which cost about $2000 altogether, and I would have to figure out how to protect it. Not worth the risk for me. Same with that other camera, the Panasonic, I would much rather risk that than my DSLR, and it does have a good viewfinder, plus can rip off a lot more photos per second, which helps with wildlife shots.

1 Like