THE EVEREST OF SEAKAYAKING

Ed Gillette — not some guy
Pretty well known here in San Diego -although he seems to have disappeared.

I wonder how the first Hawaiins
got to Hawaii

since they didn’t know it was there when they set out, a pretty impressive trick

California to Hawaii
Tasmania to New Zealand

Australia

South Georgia

circumnavigate the world

A couple of big effords are:
going around australia (has been done and Freya Hoffmeister is about Half way www.qajaqunderground.com

crossing from australia to new sealand (www.crossingtheditch.com.au)

back in the fifties some germand have crossed the atlantic.

For me this are all epic yourneys, but completely different then climbing. I compare kayaking to walking an then for me seakayaking is comparing to more or less nothing or perhaps normal trekking.

I compare climbing to whitewaterpaddling. and then there are a couple of rivers which are named “the everest” the one that is most reconized as “the big one” at the moment is the tsang po.

The Everest of Sea Kayaking
As it seems to be in the nature of competitive paddling (in terms of attention grabbing) to do things always faster and further away whether a kayak makes sense or not for the proposed trip, why not resuscitate an old challenge for the occasion:

Round the world, solo, unsupported, in 80 days.

At least that would leave room for a few projects in between… :slight_smile:

Everest
Most Sea Kayaking is done close to “SEA” level

Everest is slightly higher climb :slight_smile:

Best Wishes

Roy

Polynesian Explorations
It is thought Hawaii was “discovered” and settled by Polynesians. There’s lots of blue water out there, but there are islands here and there, though they may be hundreds of miles apart. The Polynesians became expert navigators and explorers a thousand years before the Europeans did. They undertook amazing voyages, but they didn’t do it alone and they didn’t do it by paddling sea kayaks.

They didn’t know Hawaii was there, but they’d been discovering islands here and there, and they probably systematically searched for more islands. They also took clues from observing the flights of sea birds. But my understanding of Hawaii is that it is so far away there wasn’t much bird migration to and from, so not sure if the birds could have clued the Polynesians about Hawaii being out there. Your comment has piqued my curiosity. I’d like to learn more about the Polynesian voyagers.

~~Chip

NFLD
Newfoundland is not an island. :wink: I bet it would be a tough, paddle. The coast line is wicked with curves.

Newfoundland Is Too An Island…

– Last Updated: Jul-07-09 12:04 PM EST –

...at least, until we get a causeway across to Cape Breton!

Tough paddle - you got that right - it's been done, but it sure ain't easy. The circumnavigators don't do the curvy bits - they beeline it headland to headland - close to 3,000 kms. that way. Almost 10,000 kms. if you want to poke into every nook and cranny...

inside passage
Check out my friends’ website “elevated attitude”. Phil and April are doing the Inside Passage this summer. They are also raising awareness for wild salmon conservation along the way.

Book
An excellent book about how the Polynesians navigated is “We,the Navigators” by David Lewis. They used stars, wave patterns, winds, sea colour, clouds and birds as some of their techniques.

Kelvin

Kristiansand to Hanstholm ?
Not Everest by any means but used to wonder about doing it in the summer time, I had some friends in K-sand who sailed to Denmark every summer. Would certainly be a long paddle.

Cape Breton to Newfoundland…
Via St. Paul Island. Only been done once that I know of… It’s a nagging thought.

Chip, start here : )
http://pvs.kcc.hawaii.edu/

not again
This sport (any sport for that matter) doesn’t need yet another inexperienced person planning to take yet another impossible trip.

If you had the experience you’d already have your answer.

Bill H.

He around … Teaching if I remember
right …

Was talking about Atlantic a while back …

Saw him talking story A-16 right after he got back … I remember telling him, please let me do the outfitting work on his boat the next time. I started doing repairs for them right around too.

Ask tsunamichuck who he saw comming while paddling off L.J. one day … It was Ed coming back from CATALINA !

OT but gotta say it just FYI …

– Last Updated: Jul-07-09 10:05 PM EST –

Mount Everest does hold a world record, but not as the biggest mountain. Everest is the highest elevation on land as a single peak. Mauna Loa on the island of Hawaii has about 13,448 ft/4100m of Mauna Loa above sea level, so it may not seem like a very tall mountain. But, when you start measuring Mauna Loa from its true base on the bottom of the ocean, in the Hawaiian Trough, the total height exceeds that of Everest by over 3/4 of a mile. Mauna Loa is Hawaiian for "Long Mountain", probably because of its long, gently sloping shape. Mauna Kea, a neighbor of Mauna Loa on the same island of Hawaii, is actually the tallest mountain in the world. Mauna Kea is about 350 ft/107m taller than Mauna Loa, but its mass doesn't compare to that of Mauna Loa. Mauna Loa takes up a lot of space because its mass is 9,700 cubic miles/40,000 cu km of mountain.

First time I went kayaking in SD
I rented a boat from him when they had the shop on Mission Bay, I had heard about his trip but had no idea it was him until later … duh. He seems pretty quiet for a legend, needed to take some self promotion lessons from some of those famous Brits.

Thanks onno
There went a couple hours.

Fascinating stuff and really incredible that they could read the sky like that. I mean, the relative position of the stars change by season and by the location of the observer, right? So there were a lot of factors that had to be integrated to steer a 2000 mile course and come out on point. Amazing.

~~Chip

Still Skiing ?
In the 70s my cousins used to go to Hawaii and ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon. Have not heard much about skiing in Hawaii lately – does it still get enough snow?