The perils of hats

Craig, and rightfully so. The less melanin in your skin , the more UV protection you need. I have a bunch of scars on my face and head to prove it.

@string said:
Craig, and rightfully so. The less melanin in your skin , the more UV protection you need. I have a bunch of scars on my face and head to prove it.

I have a small spot on my nose that needs to be dealt with - after the first of the year when my deductible resets. I always wear a hat paddling, but never any other time. Anyone who spends as much time outside as we (paddlers) do should go see a dermatologist regularly.

@eckilson said:
Anyone who spends as much time outside as we (paddlers) do should go see a dermatologist regularly.

Absolutely!

I’m quite fair skinned so I use plenty of high SPF cream and I see my dermatologist at least annually. So far all I’ve had done are a couple of small biopsies, thankfully all negative.

Since it’s fall and the UV is beginning to moderate, last Friday I didn’t use sunscreen. Arms and legs were fine but my nose got really pink and I was wearing a full brim hat. Pink went away without peeling so I got lucky.

@string said:
Since it’s fall and the UV is beginning to moderate, last Friday I didn’t use sunscreen. Arms and legs were fine but my nose got really pink and I was wearing a full brim hat. Pink went away without peeling so I got lucky.

Some hats have a darker under brim that doesn’t reflect a lot of the reflective UV that reflects off the water and in the case of a SOT reflects off your reflective toes…

• Does not include the Columbia Bora Bora POS

@grayhawk said:

@string said:

Some hats have a darker under brim that doesn’t reflect a lot of the reflective UV that reflects off the water and in the case of a SOT reflects off your reflective toes…

Thanks for mentioning that. Something I hadn’t considered. My Patagonia wide-brimmed hat under brim is black. Have worn it all summer on sunny days and use sunscreen. Face is barely tanned. Hands a different story. Stopped wearing gloves so I have a better feel of my paddle. Hands tanned to the wrist (always wear a UV rashguard).

I wear fingerless gloves (usually NRS) since the padding helps keep my hands from going numb plus they help reduce friction and avoid blisters on hot sticky days. I’m perfectly content with the dexterity of fingerless gloves. I usually wear a thin synthetic long sleeve shirt and tuck the ends into the gloves. In addition to a sun hat I typically put on a thin layer of Neutrogena oil free SPF15 on my face and neck and the backs of my wrists in case the shirt comes untucked from the gloves…or for the times when I wear an old frayed white cotton work shirt instead of synthetic and can’t tuck them in. I also like the “Nivea for men” SPF15 since it’s not too slimy plus I feel like I deserve it since my wife has 3000 bottles of god knows what products of her own. I get pleasure from recycling work clothes and using them for paddling (the “circle of life” for work clothes). I also bring some stronger sunscreen in my day pack in case I need it or someone else needs it.

Regarding gloves - I go full glove or no glove.

I’ve yet to try a pair of fingerless gloves that feel comfortable on the paddle for me. I’ve only tried one or two versions and don’t remember what brand or model they were.

I find that most fingerless gloves are more comfortable if you cut about 1/2" of the fingers off so they don’t interfere with your first finger joint. The edges are often hemmed or overcast too which creates an annoying bump. The materials they are made of usually don’t fray when cut clean. I wear them as much to protect the back of my hands from UV as to cushion against paddle shaft friction.

I got some amazing European brand SPF 60 sunscreen when I was in Spain last Spring. It was very expensive but goes on without greasiness, seems to endure with repeated immersion and completely protects against tanning and burning. When I find the tube I’ll post the name – excellent stuff.