The Roll and The Boat

If I am in Wisconsin again
on Memorial Day I will give you a chance.

Hey Dan
Went to the pool last night and worked on that ‘in rough conditions’ thing. Nelson would pick up the front of my boat and toss me left or right. I managed to roll up every time. I tried to sneak up on my buddy, Ken. When I started to pull the ass end of his boat over, he reached back and accidentally smacked me in the head with his paddle. He said it was an accident.

Geee
most SOF’s I’ve seen are real low volume and do the first half of a roll without any input at all by the paddler :smiley: The second half of the roll is effortless too ??

Rolling
I have to go along with Keith on this, if you can roll you should be able to roll any production boat. Singles, doubles, rec, as long as you can get a purchase for the knees…

Dan

Totally agree kwinkle!!!
I’ve won a lot of beer solo rolling doubles and other supposedly non-rollable carft over the years.

Rolling

– Last Updated: Jan-26-06 7:25 PM EST –

I've rolled a lot of kayaks, but never a carft. What do they look like???lol

Has To Be An “Odd Shaped” One…
nothing in the lines of a prototypical baidarka would make it hard to roll, or harder than some of the high volume production boats out there.

I’d be interested in seeing a pic of this “monstrosity” of a SOF. :slight_smile:

sing

Well…
oh, never mind!

Sorry…craft…
I hope you can value my dyslexic diversity. Helps in rolling, hurts intyyyping.

that would be great!
I’ve never even seen a DraggoRossi in person and I keep hearing how unique they feel/paddle. Of course I might be up in Michigan if I go to the WMCKA Symposium that weekend but we’ll definitely have to keep in touch as that date get’s closer.

Yep!
it’s a baidarka.

I’m no expert in rolling nor the design of Baidarka. So I’m just passing what I heard. What makes it so hard to roll? I don’t really know. But the comment from the guy who successfully rolled it upright mentioned that it kind of “hang” there when after half way up…

SOF
>most SOF’s I’ve seen are real low volume and do the first half of a roll without any input at all by the paddler :smiley: The second half of the roll is effortless too <

Everything I “heard” up to that point was like what you “seen”. But afterward, I was “re-educated” to the truth behind the hype.

The “low volume” Greenland boats maybe great for day paddling in wind and rough sea. But even sing would repeatedly say that it has little room for touring.

The baidarka are the “touring” end of the SOF. Apparently it has higher volume to make room for storage. The negative side effect of it being harder to roll.

solo rolling a tandem kayak eh…
i just might have found my reason for getting in one of those things after all…

Well Excusssse me
I have “seen” many SOF’s at SSTIKS, that dosen’t mean I got to try them. I was just trying to pass on an observation. Not being an “expert” like you.

The bidarkas I “saw” were much deeper and had an elevated cockpit coaming which often came up above the paddlers elbow. I am sure your butt would be way above the seat when rolling such a boat.

sorta
I’d think a more accurate statement would be “If you understand rolling, you can figure out how to roll any boat”.

I don’t think that even good rollers always nail their first roll in a strange boat. Even Jedi master sing has had trouble with his surf boats, but he was able to figure out the problems and come up with a technique that worked(and was generous enough to post about it).