theft prevention while on roof rack

theft prevention while on the roof rack
is easy

it’s once you move away from your car that theft prevention gets more difficult

Alarm…
“Down here in Texas” we have lots of gun shows!

One of the ways the venders secure there guns is a closed loop alarm box,a box sits under the table,cable from the box comes out and loops thru all the trigger guards then back to the box.

There are plugs every few inches for access to the guns,if there unplugged while the alar is on

a big buzzer goes off!!

You kinda get my point rite?? mayabe this would be a deterant? If nothing else it would wake you up and you could start shooting!!

…Danny

Stick Protection

– Last Updated: Jul-28-07 12:49 PM EST –

Check out these locking tie down straps. I just got mine and they are fantastic! I used to struggle with the cable and such...but I don't bother any more. This is just so much easier.

http://www.stickprotection.com/pro_tour.htm

I got mine online through the above site. Later realized that those in Canada can also order from Mountain Equipment CoOp.

Here’s what Clarion…
was talking about. I got the cable/lock from him when I bought his Spirit II. I’ve used on my truck rack, and tied it around trees when we had it off the rack. If there is too much slack when you lock it, you can either double loop it around your rack or find a bigger tree etc. All in all, if someone wanted it as noted above, they could steal the car, cut through the cable, etc…Just depends on how bad they want the canoe? I didn’t take a full length pic when I did this. If you want a full length pic. Email me and I can get it to you.

Todd

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560058983QYyjJu

Here’s what several people I know

– Last Updated: Jul-28-07 2:32 PM EST –

use: http://www.tieyak.com

Not too expensive, that's the idea mentioned above, making one would be easy.

have you had a theft??
I have always thought that canoes and kayaks are just too bulky and difficult to transport for a thief to bother with, and I have never locked any of my boats or had one stolen.

I would not leave my boat on a beach or shoreline unattended, where it could be floated off, but feel pretty secure that theives are just to lazy to portage my boat! Have any of you had a boat stolen from your house or roof rack?

I have had some expensive bikes stolen, and can tell you that a determined professional will not be deterred by even a high end lock.

doesn’t the thief need a boat rack?
I am also wondering how the boat thief is running away with a 15 or 16 foot boat. I plan to travel next spring with my boat so I am curious about this issue.

Who really wants a kayak or canoe on the spur of the moment? If you pull up to a motel for the night you also have to run into someone looking to steal a boat and it seems to me the thief needs a large truck or boat rack. If you have a boat rack chances are you have a boat.

Has anyone had a boat stolen from their car when it is all tied on?

Kathy

Redneck with a pick up
They throw your boat in the back - not tied on well, and they drive off. They’ll deal with securing the load somewhere else.

Sometimes they have racks - but your boat is sweeter than theirs.

Worst place to park your car with your boat on the roof is at the put in. Everyone around paddles and knows how to load a boat.

A cordless Sawzall…
will slice through a roof rack in seconds, quietly. A large pipe wrench will destroy a rack as well.

Buy a $15 bike combi cable lock at Walmart. If they want your boat (bike/skis/luggage) that bad, they’ll get it and the less damage done to your car the better. You want to inconvenience the casual thief and slow them down. You’re car’s alarm system (?) might attract attention. A pro will get your boat…and car if they want it.

Write down serial numbers/descriptions and with a Sharpie Pen, write your contact info in 4-5 places on the boat. Cops have found my stolen property when I marked it well. Bless 'em!

Yes I have had a kayak taken
Taken off my car from apartment parking lot. I have the last space in the lot. It is about 50 yards off the main street and there is only one entrance/exit. I came home late and went inside to rest a few minutes before unloading. I fell asleep and woke up at 2:00am and went to bed without thinking about the kayak. Next morning went out and found straps and tiedowns all cut and 16ft custom built fiberglass Mariner Elan gone. Found traces of the tiedown rope around the corner at the first stop sign.

Recovered the Elan a little over 3 months later at a pawn shop just 2 weeks after I finally went ahead and purchased a new replacement kayak. Kayak was stolen in Jan and I got in May. Guy that pawned it in Jan was back in prison in Mar for parole violation so police did not persue any actions against him.

Friend had a Pygmy Osprey (wooden) he built stolen from its trailer at his apartment at the beach. It had a heavy chain (not cable) and they still managed to cut through it. It was a holiday weekend with lots of out of town visitors on the island.

Mark