theft protection

I hide them
Usually under 200 lbs of gear in the spare tire compartment. I figure if they’re already in the car, getting the boats isn’t going to be a problem for them anyway.

Why go through all the effort…
Yakima SKS lock cores can easily be busted out with a screwdriver or factory rails can be undone from a car with 4-8 hex bolts. Yes, it is a deterrent, but I don’t think elaborate locking methods are necessary, when the Yakima SKS locks are so easily broken out.

Deterrent vs. what? Do nothing?
Most of us already acknowledge that the most we can reasonably do is attempt to deter a lazy, under equipped, opportunistic thief. Since it seems that most kayak theft is performed by just this type of thief, it seems reasonable enough to attempt a bit of deterrence, no?

Even my admittedly “convoluted method” takes less than 30 seconds to put in place, and I’m hoping that it takes about that long for an opportunistic thief to figure out that it’s not worth the bother to attempt the theft. Is 30 seconds too much “effort”?

It might be interesting to find out how many boats stolen from vehicles were “secured” in some small way, and how many were just tied down with the usual straps. If it turns out that it doesn’t seem to make a difference, I’d be willing to rethink “all the effort” I put into what I think of as a bit of deterrence.

Melissa

Could we get…
A reality check? Lots of paddlers here, many with more dollars than, well…let’s just say many have much invested.

A tally, please.

How many have had a boat stolen? How many know someone who has?

Where was it at the time?

T

Tie Yak Equivalent
You can make something very similar to the TieYak mentioned already. Coated cable and crimps from a Home Depot/Lowes. Dip-it tool coating for the ends/crimps, and a masterlock. This or a tie-yak sort of thing is a nice arrangement, as you can also use it to secure your kayak to a tree, should you paddle someplace and decide to go hiking for a day.

Dave

watersprite… I was kidding.
I hope you know that :stuck_out_tongue:

Your technique, although the most complex, is likely the most foolproof.

Bought my Old Town Loon used, One of
the tow handles had broken and the guy replaced it with cable. I use a Kryptonite cable that goes from the cable tow handle and wraps around my bumper. Keeps the honest on their toes.

Yes, I knew you were kidding. :slight_smile:
My last post was in response to BMRisko’s message.

As unfortunate as it is, I realize that there will always be someone ready and willing to steal from others. I don’t have any idea what percentage of boat thieves might be boaters themselves, but it certainly is sad to think that a fellow boater, who might just understand how we feel about our lovely little boats, would do such a thing. In any event, many boats are stolen for whatever reason, and not being able or willing to accept this unfortunate fact can lead to complacency, and our boats may become a part of the statistics.

If anyone still doubts that boats are stolen very often, have a look at the “Stolen Kayaks” page on the Mariner website. These are only the boats that their owners have bothered to list on that site, and not every boater even knows of this service that Matt and Cam have offered for several years:

http://www.marinerkayaks.com/

There may be other such listings around, and it’s a good idea to visit them now and again. Even if our own boats weren’t stolen, we may be able to help someone recover their boat if we know what to look for.

Melissa

Razor wire
Well, it’s nice to fantasize revenge on thieves and burglars.

What’s so elaborate about superglue???
I like it.

Theft Deterrent
As others said, if someone really wants your boat, they are going to get it. But using some sort of theft protection will keep many away, for the simple fact they will look for an easier target, rather than bother with the trouble of getting yours.

It’s not a kayak, but I use a combination locked bike cable on my canoe. I go around the thwart and around the roof rack. It still wouldn’t take them long to get it if they really want it, but at least it will make them consider looking at someone else’s boat instead of mine.

I had mine stolen yesterday…
Man was I ever PO’d.

The QCC was sitting on the river bank while a bunch of us took off down the river for a canoe paddle we got back an hour later and low and behold the yak was gone.

I was just about ready to call the local police when I saw the stern of it sticking out between my car and the one next to it, and I heard a few voices call out “April Fool”

My good friend “Red Cross Randy” was standing behind everyone with an impish look on his face.

It was a true Got cha!

Cheers,

JackL

Pikabikes razor wire reminded me of…

– Last Updated: Apr-02-06 10:38 PM EST –

Halloween pumpkin smashers worst nightmare: owner puts tiny silver needles (like the type on a new dress shirt) into pumpkin, pointed/sharp end out. Place all over Jack O Lantern exterior (like that villan Pinhead's head in the gradde B horror flicks), and then gently set the old pumper-kin out on the front porch. No thieving teens in your neighborhood? Enjoy the Jack O Lantern all season long. But, neighborhood thieving pumpkin smashers a problem? Just listen for the howls of pain near your front stoop, and then buzz the cops.

Here is a picture of what the needles might look like sticking out of your Jack O Lantern. And, ironically enough, that is the facial expression of the perpetrators when they lift your bobbytrapped pumpkin.

http://halloween-mask.com/Alvarez/pinhead_alv.jpg

PS Use of tiny needles is fin as they are hard to spot at night. You don't have to use ten- penny wood nails like the photo.

Inspired by the gas-siphoning post
What gave me the razor wire notion (it will remain a notion, for obvious reasons) was a post somebody else made here months ago. The poster had had a thief repeatedly siphoning his gas. He affixed several razor blades to/around the gas cap. Next morning, he found a trail of blood leading away from his car! No more siphoning problems. (Myself, I just replace nonlocking caps with locking ones.)

I admire people who fight back against criminal activities. If most of us did…

The problem with booby trapping is that
it can lead to big time lawsuits, sometimes criminal charges. You are responsible if someone gets hurt on your property and, whether you like it or not, a pumpkin sitting on your porch could be considered and attractive nuisance, booby trapping it makes you liable for injuries, real or imagined.