Thin gloves

Not much grip
The NRS gloves I got, which I think are their 2mm model, have some kind of painted-on black stripes that are supposed to help grip.

They do not grip well. The little sticky rubber half-spheres that Sealskinz and Wells Lamont (garden and work gloves) use DO grip extremely well.

NRS gloves grip
Was that on a non-wood paddle?

The NRS rapid gloves have the little black squiggle stripes also. They gripped really well in the store on a wood canoe paddle. I have a GP with a teak oil finish, which has a bit of a semi gloss finish. Don’t know how they would grip on wet wood finish though. Thanks for the heads up on the grip.

BTW, the 2006 rapid gloves have a separate piece of material sewn in along the sides of the fingers. The light grey material in the photo on the url in my reply above. The 2005 just have a top and a bottom sewn together. I think the 2005 is a little better fitting around the fingers. Again, just from trying on in the store, not from use.

Paul S.

Not a wood paddle shaft

– Last Updated: Nov-04-06 10:21 PM EST –

The paddle had a glass shaft.

Even with sticky grippers on them, I don't think I'd like neoprene gloves. They squish too much for my tastes (ref. comment about forearms above)--and that's even for flatwater paddling.

You might want to consider pogies instead of gloves, or perhaps in addition to them.

***Later...
I just looked at the photos in the link above. My Rapid gloves are the older-model blue ones in 1.5mm neo with the black squiggles. I don't even like using them for driving. Too much squish. It may be that I just detest squirmy materials; when gel bike saddles came out, I thought they felt nasty.

Playtex living gloves
$2.99 at any supermarket

I like the NRS Reactor Gloves
They are thick but “pre-curved”. I’ve been in ice water with them without a problem. Velcro straps around the wrists.

More info on NRS Rapid Gloves …
“I spoke to the person in charge of glove production and learned that we will not be using the “sprider-web” pattern on the palm of our gloves due to the difficulty of producing it in large quantities. The glove pictured online was a sample and never produced in large quantities so we apologize for the misleading picture, our web team has updated the picture as of today. Another glove that I would recommend is the NRS Fusion Glove with the Rawhide palm for maximum surface area coverage to ensure a good grip. To get the best grip, try Mr. Zogs Paddle Wax in conjunction with either the Rapid Glove or the Fusion Glove … NRS Customer Service”

NRS is great and very responsive!

Boss gloves and polypro liners
The idea of playtex living gloves got me thinking.

I had bought a pair of Boss neoprene on latex gloves for 3 or 4$ at Bimart.

Tried them last weekend in approx. 55 F water, 45F air. Grip was very good. Water tight when pulling the cuffs of the glove over the latex gasket and velcroing the dry top fabric over the glove cuffs.

Finger tips were cold for awhile. Back of hand was cold some. Just ordered thin polypro glove liners from NRS. Looking forward to trying the combo.

These may be tougher than PLGs and may have a little more room for a glove liner. I don’t know. Haven’t looked at the PLGs yet.

These look like the gloves I bought.

http://www.bossgloves.com/htm/gloves/coated/1UN0055.htm

Paul S.

polypro liners so so, latex gloves good!

– Last Updated: Nov-28-06 8:16 AM EST –

The polypro glove liners didn't work that great. The weave is too loose so spreads at the tips of the fingers. Finger tips still cold sometimes. Rest of the hand was warm.

The Boss gloves were just right with the glove liners though. There's enough room in the fingers for just a snug fit with the liners on.

I'm gonna stick with the basic system. Great grip on the paddle! Now I'm gonna look for thin wool glove liners.

Thanks to the original poster(s) about latex gloves/platex living gloves, which is what pointed me in the latex glove direction.

I checked PLGs out at the grocery store. Very similar texture as the Boss. The boss just has a thin extra layer of white rubber; I assume that's the neoprene; inside. It's so thin, I don't know that it matters. The large PLGs were too small for me though. I think the decission Boss/PLG is a matter of hand size.

The gloves were still water tight for rolling, when tucked under the fabric cuffs of the dry top. At the end of the trip though when I took a swim for fun, on breast storke the gloves did fill with water. I'm sure the stroke pushed water into the DT cuffs and up into the gloves. Low volume of water though if the gloves are snug; sort of like a wet suit effect.

Paul S.

what about 1mm neoprene with latex palm
Shaunotter, sounds like you work for NRS. Is that right? Great company. I was thinking that a 1mm neoprene glove for warmth, with solid latex on the grip area; palm and inside of fingers; for grip, would be ideal.

Has that been considered? If so, what are the reasons it’s not on the market? Manufaturability, market demand?

Paul S.

Listen to Stickman!
The Glacier Gloves are great. I use the standard ones that do not have the pre-curl to them. They feel more natural. Waterproof - WindProof - Warm - CHEAP @ $16.95 from Cabellas.

I have two pair. I usually paddle whitewater two days in a row and as your hands do sweat in them, two pair allows me to have a dry pair each day.

Good Luck

Jay

Sorry Stickman
I guess I was not thinking. Maybe you can get these from Stickman. He has a very-very nice outdoor gear store and he gives good beta on pnet, and we should try to take care of our own.

Jay

One last testamonial…
I belong to a large whitewater paddling group in ARK. Whitewater paddlers spend most of their rapid time with their hands in the water. You can have a $1000 drysuit and have cold wet hands and be miserable. With that being said, many from this group have been through several of expensive NRS/Hydroskin?Warmers gloves and are now switching to the Glacier Glove.

OK… I am done now :slight_smile:

Jay

@
Exactly which glacier glove model do they prefer?

I used Reactors in Alaska
I used the NRS Reactor gloves in Alaska this summer (47 degrees at the glaciers, with wind chill and wet) and they worked well. Not completely warm, but warm enough. I use a GP and get quite wet. Paddling yesterday in 34 degree weather, my fingertips were cold, but not uncomfortably so, and functioning just fine. I like the precurved fingers.

Caveat - you must put these on while your hands are dry - don’t wait until you are underway with wet hands to try and put them on - it’s nearly impossible.

I have neoprene pogies that I also use sometimes with my GP, but they absorb a lot of water and get heavy.

Paula

Wool knit gloves
They last about a year before I loose them. When I loose them they are in pretty good shape so maybe they would last two years if I had a better brain.

i use these all winter long without
complaint: http://tinyurl.com/y2d7fz

glacier glove models
You can look at the models here:

http://www.glacierglove.com/pages/neoprenegloves.htm

There are three that I see folks using:

Ice Bay - 013K - $19.95 These are the ones I have and Jay has. They are really quite thin (yet VERY warm), and so I can take pictures with my camera, get my skirt on/off, etc. etc. with the gloves on. And the material is kind of sticky on the paddle, so I actually feel I get a better grip with them on than with bare hands. Downside is they are not super durable at least for my type of paddling (rocky rivers and creeks). The upside is they take an aquaseal patch really well and then they’re back to good as new. Note the price is if you buy direct from Glacier Glove. Google this model and you can find them as low as $14 or $16. Even if I have to replace these every other paddling season, I would still consider them an awesome glove.

Kenai All Purpose - 016BK - $25.95 - Honestly I’m not sure what if any differance between these and the Ice Bay gloves, and Ice Bay model is cheaper.

Hypalon Perfect Curve - 002HBL - $43.95 - I just ordered a pair of these. They are supposed to be slightly less flexible than the Ice Bay or All Purpose glove, but still very warm and more durable. I’m interested to see how much more durable they might be, but I love my Ice Bays so much, I may just stick with those and have 2 pairs in case one pair needs an aquaseal patch and it doesn’t have time to cure I have a back up pair.

For a lot of paddling, I’m not even sure you would find the Ice Bay gloves to have a durability issue, but if you are upside down and your hand is on the paddle but banging against rocks before you set up and roll…well, that tends to be rough on the soft neoprene.

Until I found these last year I was MISERABLE on really cold days. Gloves that were thick enough to be warm were so uncomfortable, gloves thin enough to be comfortable were not warm at all, and I could not get used to pogies at all (I fidget too much - like to put my nose plugs on and off, get my camera out while in an eddy to snap the next paddlers coming through, etc. and just couldn’t do all that with the pogies).

So I think you can tell: I LOVE GLACIER GLOVES!

reverse thought process
Anyone use that non skid tape on their paddle shaft in the winter? eliminates wondering if a particular glove will give proper traction or not. does not limit you and you can use whatever glove keeps your hands warm.

just a thought

Paul

Sealskinz
http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/seal-skinz-gloves.html