thinking of upgrading

I saw that Kaos when
I check the Wildnerness site for the Eliza. It looks like it would be fun on the Gulf for just playing around.

I don’t mind taking a class
and will ask my Mom about going with me. She surprized me when we talked today, I brought up the subject of rolling and she acted like she might want to try it! It surprized me because she is 54 years old but I guess she is still adventurous. Not to insult anyone about the age but I just did not think my mother would want to do that. You just never know! Haha!

Thanks to everybody!!!
I will let you know how things work out and what we decide to get, and if we learn any cool new skills.

Cheryl

'Scuse me…
I got my roll when I was 53. If she is interested in trying, I’d take her lead rather than getting overly involved in her “old” age.

Maybe a Whisky 16 or 18?
Seems I saw the words “confidence inspiring” or something to that effect when a followed a link someone had put in one of the recent posts…

And man, talk about rocker! The part of the bow/prow where it meets the bottom doesn’t even touch the water when there is someone in the boat!

Yup fun in the waves
It’s a fairly decent boat to see if you like surf kayaking.

Hey
A mother and daughter were learning to roll at the pool last night. They were having a blast.

One more suggestion:

greenland paddle

finding the right boat
I don’t know of anyone that’s found the “right” boat their first time buying!!! And sometimes their second time buying too!!! My 2 cents worth of advice would be to tell you to look for something close to what you think you want IN THE USED CATORGORY !!! Check craigs list, check on this boards used section (I actually found my first boat there) check your local kayak shops, they usually have sales or sell off their demos every year. Sit in them, test them in water if you can. Don’t worry so much about tippy-ness, I’ve found that to be the first thing that fades to being stable-ness once I start paddling the boat. Most diffinately take classes in self rescue. As far as which boats: look for ones with sealed bulkheads, hatches to keep your camping equip dry. They also keep the boat afloat when you turn over. Don’t be afraid to look at ones with a smaller cockpit, those larger ones will have you feeling like you’re trying to paddle a bathtub. Also with a boat that fits you better you might find yourself wanting to do a bit more edging with it. Now you’re really gonna need those classes!!! Good luck with the search for boat. And have fun camping once you find them!!!

Tippy
If it feels tippy : It is!

Boats with great secondary stability will plant you in the water in a heart beat but they can be held upright in a broken sea easily if you have the skill.

The newer Capellas’ are OK and will fit both you and your mom (the 16’6")

The Chatham is slow.

Learning to roll can be easy and is a great thing for confidence.

I think Celia is about your size and is much closer to where you are than I.

For me a 3 N M scoot offshore is not something to be done lightly; we followed some whales out almost that far last summer: The fog came in and we were on a compass bearing back into the bay. (not good as we had two beginners with us.)

I would be inclined to get some lessons or join a local club. There was no club when I started so I had to learn the hard way.

If you should buy a skinny fast boat that does not sit easily on the water, you may be discouraged.

My rule is I should be able to put my paddle down and take a photo or have a sandwich without worry.

I paddle an NDK Explorer (I would hesitate to recommend it as quality is a bit off.) That said she is a superb boat for my purposes. I weigh about 175 but likely closer to 190 or 200 with a dry suit and PFD.

I have a friend about your size who paddles a glass Capella and is quite pleased, that boat comes in plastic.

Glass is not as fragile as you apparently think, If you have lots of hot weather it may be worth a look.

Alex

Poly Chatham 17
My wifes first sit-in, and she loves it! Older than your mom, one year with a sot, now doing paddle float re-entries, or with an assist from the bow of my kayak. All learned in two months, with only me for an instructor. I’m really surprised that this boat is not more popular. It does most everything well, and rolls like a dream. Oh, and of course, a Greenland paddle! Ken…

Classes in Galveston Houston Area
You might give Canoesport in Houston a call. Charles and Bruce used to give classes. They recently sold the shop to Austin Canoe and Kayak. I don’t know if ACK is keeping the classes going, but it’s worth a call. You might also check with the Houston Association of Sea Kayakers. I’m not a member, but they appear to have a well organized club judging from their website. Unfortunately, there’s a dearth of professional instruction down here in Texas. If you can afford it, a really fun way to learn (IMO) is to make your next vacation a learning vacation by attending a kayak symposium or taking a course in some place like Maine or the San Juans.