This will be fun in the pool.

@dc9mm said:
Learn to stay in your boat your much better off. Here is me showing how to stay in your boat. Float your way up.

Let’s see you do that without a skirt

@Overstreet said:

@dc9mm said:
Learn to stay in your boat your much better off. Here is me showing how to stay in your boat. Float your way up.

Let’s see you do that without a skirt

I always where a skirt? Even when iam kayaking, so why without?

It will also work without a skirt. If you are able to float without the kayak and the kayak can also float without you {even filled with water} Then…teaching how to roll, I sometimes have been known to fill the kayak with water so it floats a wee bit lower in the water, easier to get onto the rear deck and doesn’t inhibit rolling . A full kayak just rolls a little slower and sometimes wants to keep going {momentum} some kayaks are easier to roll when full.

I haven’t mastered the “float” yet. At least, not while having my mouth or nose above water. I don’t know if it’s me, the boat, or both. I agree that rolling with a flooded boat isn’t any real challenge once you’ve mastered it the usual way. Stability is compromised after righting the boat though.

In the video the low rear deck is a huge advantage. My Assateague has high volume and thus a tall profile. I can do a cowboy reentry in calm and moderate conditions but I have other fallback methods for rough conditions. I’ve turned around on the rear deck once or twice but it’s dicey keeping my balance. I can’t drop my behind into the seat followed by my legs due to the cockpit length not accommodating my leg length, so this makes getting in and out on the water more difficult.

I think what’s most important to say about the original video is that it’s critical to get out and practice stuff like this until it becomes easy. Do it often enough and it becomes muscle memory, which is what you really need in an emergency situation.

In my ACA L2, we had to do 360s but while still in the cockpit. Both my kayaks have the same size cockpit: keyhole 31.5” x 16.5” with a backband.

What I can’t figure out is why I have to lean back in the 16-footer to get my legs out, but don’t have to do that in the 14-footer. I thought maybe difference in beam, one being 21" versus 22.5", but that doesn’t make sense since the cockpits are identical. Or does it?

@Rookie said:
What I can’t figure out is why I have to lean back in the 16-footer to get my legs out, but don’t have to do that in the 14-footer. I thought maybe difference in beam, one being 21" versus 22.5", but that doesn’t make sense since the cockpits are identical. Or does it?

It could have a lot to do with the seat/backband position. A few clicks of the ratchet on my backband can make the difference between being able to raise my knees up or not. In the most comfortable position I need to really lean back and/or push myself up and onto the back deck before my legs come out.

@Rookie said:
In my ACA L2, we had to do 360s but while still in the cockpit. Both my kayaks have the same size cockpit: keyhole 31.5” x 16.5” with a backband.

Maybe where the seat position is in the cockpit (one nearer to the rear of the cockpit) or maybe the deck height?

More experience sharing here… rolling without a skirt… not a problem. When you do a re-enter and roll you can absolutely do it without dumping any water beforehand or attaching your skirt. You just have to pump a lot more afterward. I have rolled with a grandson latched onto my hull. Gonna try it with him on the deck when the weather warms up.

Entering boats easily… I’ve moved the seat back in just about every boat I’ve owned to make getting in and out easier. It doesn’t affect the trim in a bad way… at least not for me.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pqH61dDPsdM

Yes, roym! My son used his phone to video my roll but it won’t show up here. I guess I have to YouTube it.

@roym said:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=pqH61dDPsdM

I always hate it when I get pest stuck t the back of my boat like in the video. Best to swat them off. I had one on the front and back while rolling but once I smacked them hard enough they finally let go.