Thoughts on greenland style paddle

The main advantage of a two piece paddle is in transporting it. The disadvantages are increased weight, wear at the ferrule over time, and adding another potential point of failure.

Oops! Just realized this is a really old post.
Suspect the guy has solved his issues by now.

The other advantage is that a take-apart GP stores better and more securely in paddle saddle on deck. This is important in rougher conditions. A one-piece GP often extends beyond deck and gets worked on my waves in rough conditions. I had a one piece come completely off my back deck by wave action. I was fortunate to see it floating near me and retrieved it.

Here is a my 2 piece in a paddle saddle:

sing

But you do have the skills. You might not think you do, but you do. Just do it. Make a paddle, throw it away, talk to us here. I still use the first paddle I made, I’ve put the next three or so in the burn pile. But the current one? It’s going to be great.

We’ll get you through it! We’re here for you.

3 Likes

Another paddle-making addict…it’s truly heartwarming. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Trust me I do not but I will meet you half way, my brother in law is a woodworker by trade and I will seek his help and his tools to help me attempt to make one, it would be much easier just to pay him to do it but I will make an attempt. Now when I fall out of my kayak in the bay bc "my " paddle is far to long or the size of a trash can cover I hope you will drag me out NotThePainter and hand me a cold beer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I epoxy using West or MAS a length of 550 cord onto the edge of the paddle. The fiber of the 550 cord provides more strength than just a epoxy coating. I also coat the whole paddle with glass and epoxy. No sense having to oil it. I tend to use the paddle as a cane. The extra strength is welcome. The use of WRC or Spanish Cedar over pine makes up for the weight.

My friend Len is making them for sale. Out of what he has in stock, or made to order. However not carbon or fiberglass, all wood.

Total lengths, blade widths, and loom lengths as well as oval offsets either parallel or perpendicular to the blades.

If you are interested in contacting him e-mail him at windrush48@yahoo.com

Njordr paddles by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

But not as rewarding, at least in my opinion.

You’ve got it!

It also makes the paddle a lot stiffer, which is not necessarily a good thing. A small amount of flex in a GP gives it a bit of pop at the end of the stroke when you’re paddling hard, which gets the paddle in position for the next stroke more quickly.

1 Like