Thoughts on the Curtis Ladybug, anybody?

@kayamedic said:
could come down $100
but otherwise fair
Comes with lesson. I know some good paddlers from
that area and wondering who is selling it
just in time for the ADK Canoe Symposium at Paul Smith July 16-19

Maybe you know him?
contact name:
Steve
text:
(585) 752-3230

Yes. Not well but we have met… Knows his canoe values and knows how to paddle

FYI willowleaf

http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/photo-album-curtis-canoe-catalog-pages.html

Also FYI there was a yellow Lady Bug for sale on the Hemlock site until recently and there is still a May Fly which I know nothing about.

@TomL said:
FYI willowleaf

http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/photo-album-curtis-canoe-catalog-pages.html

Also FYI there was a yellow Lady Bug for sale on the Hemlock site until recently and there is still a May Fly which I know nothing about.

MayFly is truly tiny… for the very petite 110 lber… I had a student in Texas that loved her MayFly . She was 84 and took class. She tried to pay attention for a few minutes and then had the talent to take a nap, drift off in the weeds and… …stay upright… God Bless You Janie!

I have not been 110 lbs since high school. So no MayFly for me.

I took a four hour river paddle today in one of the kayaks (15’ plastic SINK). First outing this year but we had to cut it short when dark clouds threatened. On my way home from the launch a massive thunderstorm and deluge hit – would have hated to be out in that. Saw several major lightning strikes ahead of me as I fought my way home through neighborhoods where power was out and traffic lights were dark.

Though the paddling was pleasant, by the last hour I wished I was in a canoe. As I get older, sitting in a limited number of positions for more than a few hours sometimes creates considerable discomfort from my hip socket to my knee on one side or the other. Had to head for the bank and get out and stretch several times. With a canoe I could have stretched my legs more easily and even knelt for a while to change the skeletal geometry.

@willowleaf I agree on the canoe although oddly enough I find that I am getting more comfortable in the kayak as I age. That though is likely due to a fairly consistent stretching program. This year I’m finding that the pain has shifted from right hip/thigh joint & under thigh to left knee & feet - likely due to leg drive. In a canoe I’ll kneel as long as I can as that keeps my spine aligned and also helps with hull control.

I found some stretch and strengthening routines for the piriformis muscles, which seem to be where I been having trouble. I can see that they are very similar to routines that I had been regularly doing until this year so I am going to add them back into my gym workouts. I admit that I have slacked off in the past 6 months on going to the gym a few times a week. Use it or lose it becomes more critical the older we get. I’ve had a lot of projects and travel this year but those are lame excuses for not hitting the gym when it is so nearby and now free since my Medicare supplement plan picks up the dues. And I could do the exercises at home as well, but I find I get too distracted when I am in the house – my gym (actually a “health club”) is extremely nice and well equipped so once I get there I am motivated to put in an hour on the machines and mats and, now that the hot weather is here, treat myself to a cool-down in the pool.

I have not had my more comfortable kayaks out yet this year – the inflatable lumbar and thigh supports on my Feathercraft folder and the backband and folded ensolite seating arrangement in my skin-on-frame have in the past proven more comfortable on longer paddles than the fancy more conventional seat in the Venture Easky, probably because they are more adjustable.

Here’s the collection of stretching routines I found:

https://www.ibelieveinmothernature.com/my-exercises/these-10-piriformis-stretches-help-you-get-rid-of-sciatica-hip-and-lower-back-pain/

I bought a used gymnastics tumbling mat that is just awesome for doing core exercises…it’s 12x6 but folds so I have it set up for 4x6. Not only big, firm and comfy but it also gives me my permanent designated spot for core exercises. I also swam every day this week at the YMCA and swimming just seems like it helps in many ways.

Regarding the Mayfly if you look at the Curtis catalog pages on the link I posted the optimal weight range is 100-175 but I expect the Ladybug is still the more ideal fit for you. I imagine the Mayfly would be quite the sporty ride for the right person with such a narrow waterline width.

Thats a nice link Willowleaf. I may try but first I need to get both hips replaced and unfortunately I can’t do them until I clear post op hip precautions ( otherwise the new hip could dislocate). First one in August. I have never been able to sit cross legged and my hips are not ball and socket but rather with arthritis hinges… My hubby was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome and he can use these… He does a couple but there are many more to retain interest in that link…

Four of those are in my standard routine that I try to follow daily. All told, I have around 20 different stretches and strengthening exercises that I can do. I manage the main 15 about 4 - 5 days a week. I have really noticed a difference.

I think the single most helpful one for me for eliminating and preventing sciatic nerve pain is the clamshell one laying in your side. In my case my PT recommended three sets of 15 reps and I also use a light resistance band around my knees. I’ll also mention that at least two of those stretches will cripple me almost immediately. One of my PT’s said that not all stretches work for everyone so skip the ones that aggravates you. Seems obvious but I was attracted to the ones that hurt me since they seemed like ones I needed the most. So start slowing and gently and back off if there’s a problem.

Amen Tom. Works for women too; avoid the ones that aggravate you.

On impulse I tried a few of them exercises today while lying on the floor of my guest room. Made the error of not sweeping the rug beforehand or putting down a mat or blanket. The cats hang out in there and I failed to notice a large hairball that one of them had recently spit up – it blended in with the multi-colored pattern on the Navajo rug and ended up stuck to the back of my shirt. Eew. Ah, the joy of pets.

On a more pleasant note, I sent a note to my old paddling friend, Dennis, in Ontario, who I know has switched in recent years from sea kayaks to solo canoe, in part to accommodate his aging Aussie shepherd, Tomo. Hoping to hear back from him about his experience in shifting from one boat type to another. Dennis was at one time the Canadian National whitewater kayaking champion in the Masters class and is also a senior Aikido instructor. I found this lovely little video on his Facebook page showing his meditative skill in canoe paddling. He’s 69 in this clip from 3 years ago – bear in mind while watching this that he almost lost his entire left arm some years ago when he fell out of his garage loft (where he stores his boats) and it caught on framing and was nearly severed. Amazing how well he recovered use of it after all the bones and most of the muscles and tendons had to be surgically re-attached. Don’t know what model of canoe this is (don’t recognize the butterfly logo on it.) Might be a Curtis Nomad – it is that sort of distinctive pale robin’s egg blue.

My apologies if it is not viewable – don’t know if he posted for public view or not:

https://www.facebook.com/dennis.burr3/videos/vb.570128318/10154544414423319/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

@string said:
Amen Tom. Works for women too; avoid the ones that aggravate you.
That’s why a lot of people avoid me ( :wink:

Hurray! Just heard from the NY seller of the green Ladybug and none of the “tire kickers” (“gunwale kickers”?) that have contacted him have bought it yet.

So I am stopping Saturday (on my way to kayak with Celia in Maine) to check it out and probably buy it. Though it would make logistical sense to leave it there until the return trip a week later (rather than haul it with the kayak 1000 miles to and from the Atlantic coast),

I might haul it to Saratoga, where I am staying overnight with my brother, and leave it there with him so I can try it out on Fish Creek or one of the lakes in the 'Dacks.

I hope that your evaluation of the Lady Bug goes well. They’re nice little boats.

If it has foot braces, it moves along quite nicely with a 225cm to 230cm kayak paddle.

I own a 1984 Curtis solo tripper, and paddle it often. It has the old sticker before he switched to the loon logo. I also had a 1987 vagabond. Great canoes. Both of mine are Kevlar and S- glass.

I should add when canoeing I love a canoe best, and when in my kayak love it best. Really like the different strokes and strengths of each. I had no problem going from a canoe to a kayak. My dog liked the canoe.

I have an oddball Voyageur 230cm kayak paddle that I used to use in the bow of the tandem canoes that my ex and I had. I’ll probably rely on that at first until I can get a single blade. Since I will be in the Dacks and in Maine next week, my options for finding a paddle to go with the boat will be legion.

Unless the seat has been lowered you will find it a bit more secure to kneel. It’s a very maneuverable hull. You certainly can use a double blade but it may induce more yaw than you would like. Great boat…enjoy!