Throw bag when canoeing

Never …

– Last Updated: Aug-11-04 6:11 PM EST –

Never argue with a rock; the rock won't change it's opinion, and it makes you look like a fool.

1. Meant for shoreline only..........
See page 45, Whitewater Rescue Manual by
Waldbridge/Sundmacher Quote: Overhand throws are
very powerful and are especially useful when
"sitting in a boat", standing in deep vegetation or "waist deep water", or for short, close in situations. Obviously, your "friend" knows more about it than Waldbrige & Sundmacher.
NOT!!!!!

2. Can't pull swamped canoe ........
Wrong! On 2 occasions last week, my 13 foot canoe(full of water), and myself were pulled from runoff at the bottom of a class 3 rapid with a throw rope. Two different friends helped me in this way; one of them is 25 pounds lighter than me. With backup from a friend, I held a tandem BlueHole(full of water) & 2 friends in place on moving water. Have also had a raft I was in on Chattooga section 4, loaded with 5 people, pulled to the river bank with a throw bag.

3. Throw bags are no good unless all boats have one.......
I guess if you looked at things with that type of "fractured logic"; that would mean that a first aid kit would be of use to nobody unless everybody has one. One map would be of use to nobody, unless everyone has the same map.

4. Throw bag ropes tangle........
Learn how to "stack" the rope in the throw bag, dry the rope(not in direct sunlight) when you return from a trip, and practice using the throw bag. "Fractured logic" again; the rope "might" get tangled, therefore it is worthless. Rappel & belay ropes tangle on occasion too. Therefore, using "Fractured logic", if we are going to rappel, or rock climb we should "not" use a rope. Duh!!!!!

5. A bailer is "better" than a pump & the pump is "only for kayaks". Tell it to my friends who are solo & tandem whitewater canoers, and always have a pump with them, as do I! Both get water out of the boat; that is the goal is it not ??? And why do I see so damn many homemade bailers on the river banks & in eddies on whitewater rivers ??? Not worth tying in ???

And this guy wouldn't reach out to grab a throw bag thrown to him if he was about to get swept into/under a strainer either? Yeah right!!!

BOB

practice
One important thing about throw bags or any rescue item (even tie a rope to a seat cushion) is to practice and practice and practice BEFORE you go out.

I used to put my kid in the driveway and practice throwing the bag PAST her so the line lands on or near her. Then at the lake, we’d practice from shore at the swimming beach before going onto the water.

Why?

Because if you throw the bag at them, and hit them in the head…

Or if you throw the bag at them and it falls short…

So if you throw past them, they can grab the line that is across the water easier than a bag or the currnt will push them into the line or such.

But it’s useless to have any safety gear that you don’t know how to use.

Throw Bag and Hand Pump
Thanks to all of you who sent opinions, experiences and suggestions to my questions on the value of throw bags and hand-pumps on flat water canoeing. You didn’t disappoint me with your emails - you are all true paddling friends. I have shared your comments with those in my club and we will do the smart and safe thing. If you want - check out my club’s website: www.canoeandkayakclub.com I plan the trips, write the reports and my (much) better half takes many of the photos posted. Again - Thanks to all. Miles

Thanks for your reply to my question

– Last Updated: Aug-12-04 6:38 PM EST –

to RKJOHNSON: Former mility huh! Me too, Active, Reservist and DA civilian and wouldn't have had it anyother way.
You are right, those LTs need all the help they can get. Thanks for your 2 cents - gratefully appreciated. Ted

Throw Bags and Hand Pumps
Jill, Thanks for your response to my question. You are right my “friend” is not much fun on trips. His claimed 35 years of paddling experience does not by itself make him an expert, instead, it made him a “know-it-all” and guess what - he doesn’t know it all. Ted