Timing a river trip

My average, and observations

– Last Updated: Nov-20-09 10:29 AM EST –

I usually figure 3mph at the end of the day, i.e., after stretch breaks, pull around a strainer or two, etc. If I go much faster, it usually involves a good current, and I sometimes go slower if strainers or swims per mile rise.

Observation: I sometimes say "ax" when I emmulate folks from parts of the country stereotyped as uneducated. Stereotypes always fail at some point.

Observation: Was using mapping from Switchboard.com to look at a river recently. I clicked on "birdseye view", having no idea what it did. Try it! You can do a detailed check out of your river.

Observation: Rivers seldom go straight. Roads sometimes, but not always do. I can cite many instances of shuttle routes that are many times the distance of river miles. But it is usually the other way around.

Agree with posters that suggest getting a little boat time under your belt before tackling a 60-mile route. If you break down cycling, you are by the side of the road. On the river, you can be in an uncomfortable situation where recovery is more difficult. You probably won't die, but you might have some discomfort. What for? It's "spoozta" be fun.

Have you checked the places2paddle section of this site? Might find some info on your river there? If not, be sure to add something when you come back. Also, consider hiring a local outfitter to shuttle you or your vehicle from one end to the other. Local outfitters probably know a lot about the river you are targeting. Sometimes outfitters are reticent to share info with callers, but if you are a customer will be forthcoming.

Good luck,
~~Chip

I say go for it!

– Last Updated: Nov-20-09 10:23 AM EST –

Sounds like a fantastic epic first trip. Or what I like to call a "shake out" trip. You'll no doubt suffer some hardships and discomfort. And at the end you'll either be totally hooked on this canoeing racket (no matter how bad you might suffer) or you'll come away saying "that sucked, I don't like it." Either way, you're a big winner.

As for distance per day ... You've already gotten some really good advice and things to consider in your planning.

Yeah, you betcha
youse guys should refrain from using such poor grammar. Pulls down the whole tone of this board and makes us all look like hillbillies or yoopers or equally low-class folks. ha ha ha!

Sorry just couldn’t resist responding…