Tipping your instructor? (how much?)

well…
w/all due respect to both the tipping and non tipping sides of that argument…there is a difference between being a paid guide/instructor for a company and being the instructor that sold, set up and ran the class.

when i go to a restaurant and leave a tip i don’t leave it for the owner of the restaurant…i leave it for the person that provided the service/experience based on what i feel is appropriate.

do what you feel is appropriate.

For proffessional
lessons take another class and put the word out to your friends.

If its a trip leader or guide ask if they accept tips.

Depends

– Last Updated: May-05-09 3:29 PM EST –

I tipped for my first rescue lesson where the instructor was in cold water all day. He worked hard that day. He was self-employed.

I've tipped for a private lesson that was supposed to be a group lesson but others were a no show. Since he didn't cancel, I tipped. He was self-employed.

I've tipped when it was an employee of a large operation giving the lesson. She did a good job and it seemed right.

In each case, the lesson was over $100 and the tip was $10 to $20.

I would have tipped
in all of those circumstances as well

DON’T TIP THE OWNER!!!
Whoever says that has never owned a service business.

If you get the same level of service from two different people what does it matter WHO owns the business.

It may be that the owner after all expenses is making less than the employees.

Always tip for good service.

WOW, I learned something from this
I agree with all of your replies.

Ifn Uz wanta no wat eyez lernt, It will cost you a bigger tip

Wait a second…
you mean that instructors are supposed to get paid???

: )

“2 hour, $90 rolling class”?!
Wow! For 2 hours? I think I paid not much more and got a whole DAY!

I didn’t have just me and the instructor. It’s a “group” lesson, though the ‘group’ consist but me and one other student.

But since I couldn’t possibly worked all 5-6 hrs non-stop, the ‘extra’ student was neccessary to offer some rest time for me. In fact, we had to quit half way through the afternoon anyway, since both of us were too tired to do anything more.

I nonetheless rolled up by lunch time (2-2.5 hrs?). What does that say about the skill of the instructor?

6 words in the English
language that are ‘never’ used together:

1. That
  2. Is
  3. The
  4. Kayak
  5. Instructor’s
  6. Porsche

steve

think of them like pirates
women/men

rum/single malt scotch

or cold hard cash.

I think I owe you a tip
for that nice trip you took me on before I knew better. So here’s my tip: Take me out again and this time you get a gratuity! :wink:

Seriously, Steve, probably the nicest, funnest trip I’ve ever been on. Certainly the most educational. Please forgive my bad form.

actually
one of the guys i raft guide with actually bought an older used Porsche. Kind of funny when he pulls in with his kayak sticking up out of the passenger seat.

he’s a little “different” from the standard breed of river guide. dresses with style, bathes, etc…

nice guy though, i’ve known him most of my life.

Tipping
is NOT a city in China!

best tip I ever got:

“Don’t pet burning dogs!”

steve

180 degrees
if it’s a rescue drill.

well said

Ben will be at the River Connection
this Friday teaching (perhaps Saturday, too?). Check out River Connection for details.

Rob

how is one to know?
“excuse me, what’s your hourly wage, I’m trying to decide if you deserve a tip”

Not that many folks are teaching as their main source of income so the reward of a tip isn’t that great, for those who are tips for exemplary service is appreciated.

I never sought or expected tips and most folks who went to the effort of giving one are likely to feel offended/embarassed to have it refused.

When I was teaching I got paid $15/hr,when I taught private classes that cost the customer $65/hr I got $15/hr. When I taught six people that netted the biz $120/hr I got $15/hr.

Business 101
if you own your own business and follow the golden rule (pay yourself first), you already have a sufficient cushion built into your price. I never discourage tips, but as you can see by some of these posts, I am always plesantly surprised when I get one and when I do I almost always split it up between any assistants who worked the trip with me.

I’m talking all personal service…
…not just kayaks.

See how happy you will be not tipping your bartender/owner or your hair stylist/owner?

Well,

– Last Updated: May-08-09 3:56 AM EST –

I went ahead and gave him a $10 tip.

I was the only one in what turned out to be a 1 1/2 hour class, so he was able to give me his undivided attention and focus all of his energy on teaching *me*, or trying, to do an Eskimo Roll.

Unfortunately I wasn't actually able to pull it off in my Tsunami, but I came really darn close and will practice again when I get the chance.

It felt like the right thing to do.

-T