tipping your kayak guide

Yeah
Should get a hat that says “Tips Welcome”.

I have been on several multi-day
guided trips in Alaska, and on both of them we tipped.

On the first one someone suggested that we put all the tips in a pot and give it to the guides, and in that way if a person couldn’t afford too much, he/she would not show up as a cheapskate.

I thought it was a good idea, so on the second one a few years later, I suggested doing the same, and one guy who already proved himself to be an a-hole balked, so we all did our own thing.

Takes all kinds to make up this world.

I personally think that on a guided trip the guides deserve a tip, unless they are terrible guides and don’t warrant one.

Cheers,

jackL

Guide fees
Where I work there are set guide fee’s for half day and full day trips whcich the prices reflect. the Guide fee goes straight to the guide. I do agree, often it is cultural, sometimes I will recieve a $20 dollare tip for launching people(not guiding them, just the launch) other times it will be nothing after a long hard day of hearding cats…lol

Yesterday I did a tandem tow a woman and her son, two seperate boats a little over 7 miles, she tipped me with a Starbucks gift card, seems strange except earlier we had been discussing a mutual love for coffee…and she will be back with more customers s.I ove the tip when I get it, but don’t rely on it, it is a bonus to getting out and paddling g…kim.

Tipping
It seems like a cultural and regional thing in the states. I’ve guided from Canada to Chile over the course of 15 years. In some areas you know you’re going to be tipped. In others you know not to expect it.

It also depends on how many other guided activites the guest has done in the past.

I’ve found that tipping never crosses alot of folks minds…

Then again, I’ve had part of a group tip me right in front of the rest of the group and never received anything from the rest of the group…

Who knows.

Yup
If someone made it known to me that they were EXPECTING tip…they’d not be likely to get one. Tipping should be by choice only. IF the client CHOOSES to tip because of exceptional serrvice or whatever then great! Consider it a bonus.

But the reality is, it is a job that you are already being paid to do. The Client has already paid to do his or her trip. Automaticlly expecting a tip? I’d not expect it around these parts.

I tip mine, but only after…
…popping his skirt.

Never tip a kayak guide if…

– Last Updated: Apr-11-06 6:37 PM EST –

He gives you half a paddle.
Sends you out when it is lightening and stays on shore.
Gives you a leaky boat.
Paddles away from you never to be seen again.
Gives ALL his attention to the “hottie” on the trip.
Laughs at your paddling skills.
Laughs at your clothes.
Laughs at your mother-in-law..
Tells you he just started paddling last month.

These are just SOME of the mistakes I have made... GH