Tippy canoe

Seats
Surprised no one suggested lowering the seats just a bit(unless I missed it)…small amount makes a big difference…however just spending ots of time in the boat does, too. Obviously don’t know you, but if you’re new to paddling consider taking some instruction as there is actually quite a bit to learn that will help you feel more secure and relaxed.

Lowering Seats
I have on Dagger Reflection for the family, 15 ft, 3 seats. The canoe handles great. I dropped the middle seat down, to keep the 5 year-old in the canoe.

Used a standard kit from the store. Easy to install, looks beautiful and works well.

Surprising advice…
I have the same boat 16 RX Prospector. It was my second canoe and I remember it feeling a little “tippy” when I first got into it but I was kind of expecting that because I had done a lot of research and understood the effects of the 27", I think?, beam. It didn’t take me long to get used to it though. I ordered mine with a center seat so I can take the kids. I’ve paddled mine with my wife in the front and my daughter in the middle. The advice of getting rid of this boat is from my perspective just plain wrong! True joy will occur the first time you spin her around, sit in the bow seat and take her out solo. It’s incredibly adept at ww in that scenario. It’s also a great family boat. Mine will be in our family for years to come. I hope to hand it down to my son someday.

STICK WITH IT! Good luck! Scates

Rocker and Roll
I haven’t see any comments addressing the amount of rocker on the Prospector.

I have to marvel at a “beginner” canoer trying to maintain balance in this round bottom canoe while, at the same time, trying to maintain some semblence of a straight line. I hope he developed a really good correcting stroke during his time of renting flat bottoms!

I am a proponent of “use it, and get used to it”; but I have to wonder whether his wife will still be paddling with him by the time he is “used to it”.

Maybe he should just buy a kayak now!

Not a problem
I said this was my second canoe, I had the first one for 6 months. I got used to it quickly and I love it! Things would have to get pretty desperate to 'Yak.

I agree …
My first thought when I read the post was that he was paddling solo and then projecting those characteristics on how the boat would perform with a second person – his wife.

I own a Wenonah Prospector 16. I really like it tandem. My wife, who isn’t a regular canoer, and is sensitive to tippiness, also likes this canoe … because it isn’t tippy. I think the wenona prospector 16 sits right down and is solid when paddling tandem.

Now, paddling solo it is a whole different boat. I wouldn’t want to do any serious solo paddling in it, especially if empty.

So, I say that if indeed concerns are based on solo use, please try it tandem. I think you’ll be happy with it.

BTW I really love this boat as a tandem tripper. We take it to the BWCA. It guides and dances across the lakes and is rock solid. Yes, as well as it performs on rivers with its rocker, it performs equally well on lakes.

A little confusion
Sorry about any confusion. I assure you I was not consigning you to an eternally wet butt in “yakdom”.

My comment was targeted at ‘gwoughter’, whose profile indicates that he is a “beginner” and prefers lakes and flat rivers. I think he will master the prospector with some dedicated effort; hopefully, his bow-wife, who sounds a little schitzty about tippy canoes, will stick with it for the whole learning curve.

Paddling tandem…

… takes a bit of time to build some team work. Between couples maybe longer, it pays to keep your mouth shut! You might even learn faster in a class being seperated.

Take your canoe swimming! When it warms up (or if you have wet suits), tip over on purpose, practice leaning side to side, practice your braces together until you become a team!

Or you can try solo!

Way to Go!
I just opted for the $400 chain store boat myself.

I got tired of reading all the false claims in the lit. Every company tries to tell you that every boat is good at everything. Couple that with the problems of availability and delivery.

Lets not forget that you get to pay more for all your trouble. I thought buying a new boat was suposta be a high spot in paddling??!!

Instruction helps
Often it is not a question of “the right boat at all” its the dymanics of the paddling team.

Its well worth bringing in a third party. A good instructor and a nice afternoon can make all the difference. Immediate feedback is worth the money! The object is for you and your wife to be comfortable (I see that you have kids too, so safety must be uppermost) and have fun.

Give it three hours of class time and be upfront with your concerns. Believe me, your wife wont value your input as much as she will pay attention to someone else!

Then if the boat still doesnt feel right…move on. Canoeing isnt supposed to be painful and always stressful.

I had a student pair where the wife felt insecure and always"about to go over" . She just wasnt having fun and wanted to go read on shore. We had a little talk on a break and she said that she was bothered by not being able to see what was going on behind her. Voila! Switched positions, she now in the stern. She mastered the J fast and six hours later they were ready to do a little deliberate heeling in beginning freestyle. She needed that feeling of control and awareness of all going on around her.

My wife also prefers the stern seat.
She’s not interested in learning to steer, but she doesn’t want to be in front because she would be too close to anything we might run in to. Since she only joins me in warm weather with calm winds on small lakes, this arrangement works fine in our Wenonah Solo Plus.

Marriage requirement
My wife and I made it a point to spend some time in a canoe together before we were married. We both realized early in our seperate canoeing you can learn alot about that person on the other end in an hour or two of paddling. The speed of the water is proportional to that learning.

We’re enforcing that requirement upon our daughters, now 8 and 11, and they know it.

Back on topic - keep it. You’ll enjoy it more as you get used to it.

I bought the same canoe

– Last Updated: May-09-06 6:25 PM EST –

a Wenonah Prospector 16, and absolutely love it. I mainly paddle class I and II rivers and nature watch and fish, my canoe partner is my wife. This is my second canoe the first was a Sam's Club Rogue River with the molded cooler and drink holders, I know, no one has to say anything.

Switching from the lead sled I had to the Prospector is like being released from shackles, I am free, I can turn the boat on a dime, J strokes actually work, I can portage and load my canoe without breaking my back. The initial stability seems a bit tippy but the secondary is great as other people have said, after a couple of trips I think the canoe will feel solid as a rock, at least it does for me and my wife. This canoe manuevers great and still tracks decent on flat water, if everyone can't tell I love it, but bare in mind I have only paddled 4 canoes an Old Town Disco, an old 17 ft aluminum, I don't know the brand, my Rogue river and my Wenonah, so I am not very experienced in quality canoes. Chris

tippy canoe
my first post was a bit vague. I have 4 children and my boys and I want to work up to class 1 maybe two ww but I also wanted to relax and go flat water with my wife and one of my daughters who are a little less adventurous. I’ve been out several times since the post and am gaining comfort quickly enough that I believe when warm water is here and we can try to tip and get used to the limits we’ll be able to achieve both goals. Thanks to everyone for their replies.