To be Dry or Not to be Dry

Ah Grasshopper
You use a coiled paddle leash, the paddle drags in the water slowing the boat , like a sea anchor.

“if you don’t plan on getting in the
water”. I feel you must plan on getting in the water. Now it is a question of what the water will be like. Will you have other paddlers with you? How good are your self rescue skills? These three questions will help determine what kind of protection you need. The SOT’s are more exposed to the wind and its evaporative cooling effects.

Kokatat has a very nice Semi Dry …
When you post a question like this, please provide more information like where you will be paddling (geographically and type/class/openess/? of water), what seasons, and experience level.

Semi Dry suits like the Kokatat Super Nova (under $400 sometimes, with relief zipper and socks!) should be great just about everywhere for everything except very cold/ arctic conditions, med to heavy surfzone, or med to heavy whitewater/swift rivers.

Great info on true dry suits and wetsuits here:

http://www.kayakacademy.com/drysuitfaq.html

Super Nova:

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KokSuperNova

Depends on at least 5 things:
1. Where do you paddle?

2. What water temps? (and air temps)

3. Do you know your personal cold tolerance?

4. How close is your car from where you’ll venture?

5. How wet IS your SOT? They differ in wetness of ride.

For winter or early spring paddling with my SOT here in Colorado, I wear a drysuit and Chota Mukluks. The boat has a very wet ride even in calm conditions. Add even a 10 mph wind and the bow throws a lot of spray at me. And I’m constantly sitting in a cold puddle.

If the water and air are not as cold, I will wear a full wetsuit. I’ve used long fuzzy rubber pants/jacket, and those are inadequate for being soaked. With my SOT, even if I don’t get in the water, I’m sitting in it anyway. I personally would not wear a semidrysuit, because the semidry part is at the top, the neck. Nothing like having icy water poured into a body sack that’s sealed at the ankles.