To hatch or not to hatch

Bulkhead no hatch
I have a customized Q400S, which is the one-hatch version of the Q400X. I like a clean front deck and didn’t need the storage, but I asked for the water tight bulkhead to be added anyway. So the boat has two compartments, but has no front hatch. QCC modified one of the deck fittings to be a screw-out drain port, which is very slick, and the bulkhead has the usual tiny pressure-equalization hole in the center. I have never had to drain any water in the compartment, though.

A boat with bulkheads and no hatches is feasible and no big deal, but should be equipped with some sort of drain ports, or maybe a 4" Beckson hatch, either in the bulkhead or the deck. A Beckson with the drop-in fabric pocket behind the cockpit would be a nice design feature.

Drain plug:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/plumbing/sd520010-20/index.htm

Well, if the bulkheads do leak…
it could remove the need for a drain plug. :slight_smile:

If it has bulkheads…
You might as well get the hatches. Someday you’re going to want to put things INSIDE instead of in a deck bag. Things on deck have a way of getting shoved around or even knocked off. Also can interfere with your paddle stroke. There’s also the wind effect of a prominent deck bag to consider.