to Keel Strip or Not to keel strip

just talked to a friend
he put some on the ends of his kayak and is testing it out.

After 8 seasons…

– Last Updated: Oct-11-11 3:02 PM EST –

This is the 8th year of paddling my Aquanaut. It has just received its first keel (Keeleazy) strip. There were enough chunks of gel coat missing from the keel line that we discussed gel coat repair before applying the keel strip.

Next week, my Romany (7 seasons of paddling) will be getting a keel strip. It is an Elite layup so the gel coat started out thinner than the Aquanaut and the weave of the cloth is now showing in a few spots.

I'm pretty happy with having waited until a keel strip was needed on these 2 boats. I am also glad for Keeleazy, as it seems a very good solution for keel strips.

(My Nordlow came with a factory installed keel strip. I am glad for it as it has some deep gouges that probably would have completely penetrated the gel coat as the Nordlow's newer Valley layup has notable thinner gel coat than the Aquanaut and the hull itself seems more brittle.)

LOL Salty … I luv you man !

Why argue?
I have a 14 year-old fiberglass Malecite that shows light wear in the gel-coat at the stems. Still not enough to matter at all, and I doubt that I’ll have any need for repair or protection any time soon. Why would I bother adding anything to the hull that would detract from it’s performance?

OTOH - my royalex Prospector that now serves part-time as a loaner has stem armor (it came to me that way) which is likely to see some frequent use. And my Penobscot came to me with signs of harsh abuse on both ends (ground clear into the core), had crappy glass skid plates which I removed (they were coming loose because of very sloppy installation) and replaced with new glass and pigmented epoxy. As ugly as it is (I didn’t worry about making it look neat), it was cheap and easy - and it does the job.

If you think you need the protection, then do what you think you should. Personally, I prefer not to add weight or expense unnecessarily. I don’t take the position that I am “saving” my boat for resale. I hope to wear it out eventually anyway.

You likely have plenty of time to decide which way to go. Unless you are hopelessly careless, it’s not like you will grind through the hull in one day.

Learning from others
Stowing paddles on the foredeck creates issues that didn’t seem so when most of us stowed our spares aft. I moved mine to the foredeck from encountering problems with rescues when I had them aft - scampering over them re-entering the boat, rescuing people on the water and putting them on the aft deck, snagging on tow lines, etc… Figuring how to keep them securely on the foredeck in a way that allows ease of access for both retrieval and return has resulted in a number of solutions. It is not surprising that a number of paddlers who boat together found a solution that worked for many of them. I am always alert to how someone else has solved a problem. My own boats have been through a number of attempted solutions.

Most boats I’ve seen with keel strips that are not the same color as the hull have keel strips the same color as the seam. P&H does it routinely and Valley started doing the same. It strikes me as a cosmetic choice unrelated to testosterone :wink:

boat wear
I would also say wait until wear is noticed, but then put on some protection. I am not talking of minor gelcoat wear, but wear into the fiberglass. I think wear shows up in different places on different boats doing different things. I had my greatest wear just off the keel in the flatter area just under the rear bulkhead. This is where the weight of the kayak was concentrated when dragging the loaded boat up out of the wash on surf beaches. The wear was almost through the fiberglass before I epoxied on some fiberglass.

Peter

Keel Easy
I just got 18’ of Keel Easy. There is one whole edge (2mm) that has no adhesive for the entire length. I was assured that this would have no effect. I am an auto body man and have put on countless feet of all kinds adhesive backed strips stickers etc.One simple rule if the edges aren’t tight, in time it will lift and the life is very limited. I’d say stay clear.

Tom

Shallow Waters
I’ll second that.

The Mohawk River, my main source of paddling, is really dirty and murky right now. It’s also fairly low (though this is my first season, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s usual for this time of year). There are plenty of submerged rocks, plenty of them pointy and sharp. Then there’s all the debris from Irene.

I’m glad the skin on my skin on frame kayak costs less than $100 in materials and about three days of afternoons to replace.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
This is good advice and every time I ignore it I come to regret it.

Guilty as charged…
…on most charges but no stickers and no clubs. I have, however, had a beer in your fine town.

I love you, Man! I hope you still love me, in spite of my Brit boat with sucky contrasting keel strip and plumbing on the front deck.

Jon

http://3meterswell.blogspot.com/