Too Much Paddle?

Check out Bending Branches
They are actually the same company as aquabound now, but the lower/mid range of BB paddles has the option of the “plus” ferrule. It lets you adjust the feather and length from 215-230 or 225-240. When i first got mine i loved that option, it really let me play around with it, see what worked best.

I don’t know prices, but this hybrid plus model is probably just about the same, if not they have a glass shaft one that could work. I recommend the 215-230 length.

www.bendingbranches.com/bb-glide-hybrid-plus-performance-touring-kayak-paddle.php

Bending Branches plus ferrule
which is adjustable is a lot more money than $140. (prob closer to 280 or so but i havent priced out the now Aquabound logo paddles as Bending branches took over Aquabound)

I have 2 (evening breeze and twilite) which i keep as spares or use at paddlefests that adjust from 215-230 They are very nice paddles but an Aquabound Stingray is a nice paddle to start - possibly even the Stingray with the black blades which are a little lighter. I use 220s mostly but with a wide boat a 230 isnt out of the question either. Personal choice and paddler angle style.

yes, it is too much paddle
Reading the responses, you’d think people don’t speak English here. I understand what you mean, and yes, for a 10 x 29.5 boat it’s too much paddle. For that kind of boat, you need one of these:

http://www.minnewaskakayak.com/paddle-1.jpg

And don’t listen to the 220 crap. These people aren’t paddling a 30 inch wide boat. You want 240 at least.

The new top end aquabounds
that replaced the twilight and evening breeze with the plus ferrule are quite a bit more expensive, but the lower end glass/carbon shaft with the abx type blades like the glide and slice aren’t that expensive.

REI has them on sale right now for under $100

www.rei.com/product/784942

240 might be too long
When i first started out i was paddling a 29" wide tandem myself, and i started with a 240 and tried out my friends 230 it felt much better. That’s why i suggested the BB plus paddles, you can try different lengths without paying for different paddles

Seriously 220cm is fine
I have a 10 foot 31 inch wide Torrent that I paddle with a 210cm regularly. I have also paddled it with a 194cm, but that does feel a bit short.

jim

Ahem…

– Last Updated: Aug-27-10 6:42 PM EST –

I paddle my 29.5 inch wide Otter with a 220 Aquabound Stingray, no longer using the 230. 240 at least? Maybe if you're 7 feet tall. And why saddle yourself with paddling a freakin barbell if you don't have to?

Good choice!
However 220 is too short! As wide as your kayak is I’m puzzled why any experienced paddler would advise you to go that short. 230 at least

paddle
don’t be afraid to spend too much on a paddle (assuming your credit card isn’t maxed out) You wont’ regret buying a good one–and I agree with the people above that 230 is fine, given the beam of your boat

I paddled my riot escape today
29" sit on top - took my 240 cm aquabound and adjustable Bending branches 215-230 cm paddle also. First half of afternoon i used the 240 it worked good. Second half i used the 215-220 length “much better” although a little wetter with my highish angle paddle style. Now i surprised myself liking the much shorter 215 cm for such a wide boat! I think it would be a great idea to buy an adjustable 215-230 aquabound for the pure ease of changing to fit whatever you paddle !!