Took a rolling lesson....

you’re right
However, I don’t think the advice “keep your head down” should be ignored…but you’re right, sometimes the “why” needs an answer.

When They Say "Hip Snap"
Think “Thigh twist”.

Get that knee involved in the hip snap. It helped me tremendously when someone (Sing) clued me in.

I agree with the ‘head back’ Eric Jackson style also. When the head is way back there isn’t much need for hip snap / thigh twist.

Once you get a good snap / twist it doesn’t much matter where your head is.

Rolling with an extended Greenland paddle is EASY. The paddle never dives because you have built-in indexing. Try the Greenland extended and bring your head way back before you start to come up.

Once you get a good snap, it’s very helpful to ‘cock the gun’ before you pull the trigger. As you’re upside down in the set up position, bring your head WAY UP near your closest hand. This sets you up very nicely for snapping / twisting the boat underneath you.

Good luck. (I rolled on the third lesson - wish I knew then what I do now)

Well…
I think this video is helpful…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dguv1CdEJXQ

…except it does not emphasize gliding the paddle blade on the surface of the water. Do that. I learned the sweep roll in my pool class but for my touring kayak the c-to-c roll seems more effective.

Tomek, look at 1:22

– Last Updated: Jun-20-07 12:01 AM EST –

compare the clip you showed at :40sec and the one
davejjj showed at 1:22.

The difference you should note is the angle of the hull in reference to the position of their torso/spine. The one you showed is a cobbled roll relying a LOT on a brace and a very narrow range of torso movement. The one here shows a LOT of torso movement and very effortless arm.

look at the muscles on the guy in the clip you showed and look at the muscles on the woman in this clip..notice something different? She rolls up with little arm effort and the other guy does with rigid arm effort and suspense,,will he make it? and then he doesn't.

Lots to work on
… and that’s the problem: It’s easy to roll; it’s impossible to roll incorrectly:-)

The trick is to try to find the thing that will move you a step further. Keeping the hands relaxed is important. Another thing is not to punch out. That’s a major cause of a diving blade and a failed roll - see the kayak roll video for explaination. And see the roll video you posted for someone punching out.

Try working on keeping your off-side hand (the left hand if you are rolling up on the right) close to your shoulder as you finish your sweep. Keep your left elbow in and rotate the wrist back. Practice your finish position. I have had some luck having people move from the set up to the finish position while still upright. Do it over and over.

Another hint I got from an other instructor I was talking to last week was that the arms don’t really do much in a roll - it’s torso rotation. Sound familiar? Roll with your body, relax your grip and just move your arms from the setup to the finish.

sweep? what sweep?
I’m not sure what this paddle “sweep” is about. I don’t “sweep”, I scull. Then hip snap (and brace). That’s right, I always think of a roll as a) scull b) snap c) brace.

When I miss a roll, I closed my eye and start sculling with my eyes closed for a while. Feel the “lift” of the paddle. Then, drop in…

While underwater, get your body close to the surface. Now, with your paddle near (or above) the surface, do a couple of scull back and forth.

“Usually”, you can’t do more than one or two scull sweep. Because if you’re doing the sculling right, it will generate so much lift your body will start to rise to the surface and the boat will begin to turn right side up. Now, a good snap will bring the boat upright.

At least that’s what works for me. Your experience may vary. ;o)