top Instructors?

I’ll second Bill Bremer
and I will add in Dawn Stewart. Bill was kind enough to teach me how to roll and help with forward stroke. Dawn has always been an inspiration and willing to share her knowledge.

I did learn one roll from Dubside down in Charleston a few years back, he was a very personable fellow.

There’s not going to be much star power in my future so the best instructor is the next better paddler I paddle with.

I have been working
with a up and coming instructor out of Queenstown MD. Robert Schrack owner/operator of Adventurecrafters. Has worked with many of the great coaches in the US. and Europe. Easy going style. Works equally well with beginners or expert paddlers. Never looks at his watch. Never tries to sell you something you don`t need.

Northern New York
Scott Locorini, based in Old Forge, is a wonderful instructor.

Over the years his mentoring and generous sharing of information has helped Rebecca and I progress as paddlers.

My best
I’ve had the pleasure of getting instructors from a number of really great instructors. The one who really stands out, in my opinion, was Andy Stamp.

please
lets keep this to well known and recognized instructors. A lot of the same names here that I would think plus some new ones that I am ery happy to see recognized

southeast

Ben Lawry, http://www.benlawry.net/

Ronnie Kemp, http://www.seakayakgeorgia.com

big list
I took an intermediate master (oxymoron?) class with Gordon Brown a few years ago. What I got out of that class is with me every time I paddle.

Lyn

Nigel Foster and Greg Stamer
I like Nigel for the same reasons that others have mentioned.

Greg is an outstanding Greenland instructor, but I don’t think he’s doing much coaching these days.

It would be great to have
a “top instructor” to spend a week or two, one on one but sometimes geography and money prevent.

This could help

http://www.crpaddlers.com/greenland/GreenlandLinks.html

just getting started, but
have taken a class from Cheri Perry and Suzanne Hutchinson. Hope to take a navigation class w/ John Carmody this winter sometime.

IMHO

– Last Updated: Oct-18-10 10:25 PM EST –

In alpha order:
John Carmody
Laurie Gullion - canoe
Karen Knight
Carl Ladd
Ben Lawry
Elaine Mravetz - adaptive paddling
Greg Paquin
Cathy Piffath
Paula Riegel
Todd Wright

Of all of these, I think I've learned and improved the most with Greg Paquin & Paula Riegel of Kayak Waveology. I feel they are truly gifted at helping each student develop their own potential and style.

cheri
A lot of people don’t realize that Cheri was teaching conventional (big blade) kayaking 20 years ago. She taught me to roll back then.

Greg Stamer and Mark Schoon
My experience is limited to Greg Stamer (Sweetwater Symposium in Florida, about 5 years ago) and Mark Schoon of Carpe Diem Kayaking in Maine. Both are superb teachers and nice people.

Cheri was awesome
Her teaching method was well polished and effective. I also got to feel the difference of having a really tight fit, as she packed me into the boat such that it felt like an appendage. I drove for 2 hours to get there and it was worth the time and money.

Unfortunately, I got laid off soon afterwards and haven’t got my mojo back with rolling yet. I’m thinking maybe at pool class this winter.

Lou

Bob Burnett
As Bob says “Your forward stroke sucks!”