touring class kayak races??

who said that?

– Last Updated: Jul-07-08 10:14 AM EST –

I think you're hearing things. A boat does not have to be composite but it does have to have certain design standards.

some people think
that composite boats are easier to paddle then the same design in RM-- longer glide per paddle stroke that may be but to me the difference is not enough to warrant the additional price—

also composites are lighter, so if you are weak they are easier to load on top of your car. If you don’t have a problem loading your kayak now, this wouldn’t be an issue.

Finally composites, (and F/G and kevelar) don’t oil can—in the old days you could pretty much depend on the RMs to oilcan after a year or so of use. These days the quality manufacturers (and yes, Wilderness Systems is one) seem to be constructing RM boats that resist oil canning—if you store it correctly and don’t leave it tied tightly on a J-Rack for days in hot weather, it should last you years without oil canning. Still F/G and certainly Kevlar boats are real pretty and do have a definite snob appeal and some day I’m going to buy one for me.

Oh and there is a downside to composites etc–they are more delicate and don’t handle hard rock ledges or barnicles as well as RM.

I just got out today on boyd and hated
that lake. Good luck beaching on it. Its muddy as hell and when you step out you sink in like 2 feet. the mud is like glue and its imposible to get off of your stuff. Almost had my kayak drift away because it was so muddy I thought I’d get stuck in it if I went for the kayak, but I did, and nearly lost a croc. Im not going back again.

sounds like low tide
on the coast of Maine