Touring Yak Recommendation

Float bags are fine
if sell fittted and secured so they cannot float out.

The touyak, which has only been…
…out a couple of years has some extra safety rigging and some other, additional features

that the Calabria doesn’t, in addition to the second bulkhead and hatch.

touring kayak
you might check out enlightened kayaks t16. I order a t16 in december and have been out 5 times in varing conditions. I paddle mostly flat lakes and bayous and find that it is more stable than the carolina 14 which i have paddled in the same enviroment. I am 6’ tall and weight between 220 and 230. This is a dura lite material and was designed by John Winters with red wing designs. It is a very predictable paddle and has a

water length of 15’ 5". I can set in the seat and put my legs in without using a paddle brase. The more I paddle this kayak the more secure I feel. Check It out and feel free to email me. I am located in shreveport ,La.

Prijon
I don’t think you could go wrong with the Prijon. Although I have not paddled that particular model you mentioned. The Prijon Seayaks have served me extremely well. They are made very durable, and if they are nearly as fast, or efficient as the Seayak you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I would suggest paddling what ever you choose to buy before you do so. After all, hindsight is always 20/20. Enjoy the ride.

I was reminded of the 2-year buyback
program that Rutabaga has. They give the purchase price of your poly boat toward a new full retail price composite boat. I am seriously considering upgrading to the Pachena DX. Seems like a perfect fit for what I want the boat to do and is perfect size wise. I’ll have to lift it once to see how heavy it really is (I’ve seen it listed from 45-53 lbs. for fiberglass). I’ll be checking this one out at Canoecopia! Thanks for the advice.

Whistler
I have a friend your size who owns the CD Whistler, and takes it out on Lake Michigan (he got bored with lakes smaller than 4 miles across). I would say it’s a success for him. Having allowed me (smaller guy) to paddle his kayak, I can definitely say I preferred it over the Carolina I demoed two years ago.

My friend does say that the Whistler is not as effective in a chop and/or whitecapping (which can come up even with smaller waves). He said the waves just roll up the hull without much resistance, so a sprayskirt was a must out on the big lake to keep water out of the cockpit. When I ventured out with him a couple of times last year, I found that my OT Castaway broke the big lake waves better because of the upsweep of the bow. I would say that was the ONLY advantage I held! His Whistler seems to track straighter and has a rudder option, which is nice in the wind.

I won’t push you toward or away from the OT or other options you mentioned, but the Whistler would not be a bad choice in any event.

check out the Hurricane Palmetto
It’s a tad under 13 feet but has as much cargo area as many 15 footers do. It’s made for big guys and has plenty of room for your legs and thighs and enough space for overnighters if you pack right. It’s WAY lighter than the other plastic boats mentioned and has two bulkheads and nice hatch covers. Get it without the rudder although the Kayak Sport one can be mounted if you find you really gotta have one. This is a lot of kayak for around a grand and the Trylon holds up very well.

Calabria is Sea worthy
I have a Calabria and paddle it on occasion. Very stable, tracks well (except in a following sea, a rudder would help loads), turns well also. But, try a Prijon Kodiak for a real treat. I would buy one in a minute, as soon as I sell my Calabria. Faster, tracks like on rails, edges like my NDK Romany, all good. :smiley: