Tourist season is upon us

Ibn
Battuta

They are not just on the water
About ten years ago there used to be a sign at the parking lot for approach trail of the AT at Blood Mountain. “THIS IS A WILDERNESS AREA” was on the sign in 10 inch high letters. Always thought why did that sign need to be there. Well one day I was coming down the approach trail for doing a circle route using side trails and ran into an exhausted group of about ten persons with young children late in the afternoon going up to Blood Mountain. They were wearing flip flops, shorts and T-shrts. No water, food, rain gear or any thing else to help with the environment. Looked like they were on a walk in a neighborhood park. When they found out how far they had to go and saw how I was outfitted a couple of the wiser ones turned the group around. A lot of people have no idea the difference between the city park and wilderness.

Just have to mention that flip flops “slippers” should not be over looked for the wilderness. For Filipinos the Philippians wilderness is a great place for flip flops that they call slippers. They are used to them and can do great things that will amaze you in them, But then again they are experts in their wilderness environment…as most of us are on the water.

everyone
has access. A GROSS generalization but is why you see 20 wearing flip flops…

The shuttle driver I experienced for the Rio was wearing flip flops.

If there’s a road then …people arrive without knowledge.

People from Nebraska…

Read ‘Deep Trouble’ ?

Skis in the USACK K1 events,

– Last Updated: Jun-17-16 8:57 AM EST –

a mix in the rec races (including one SUP). Start was moved to the finish - which was the Crooked River Lodge. A beautiful place whose staff was gracious and very helpful... and who told us that very early in the morning, their lawn overlooking the river was covered with turtles. Apparently it's love season for turtles.

The start of the K1 was typical small town Northern Michigan: racers in their boats, race workers, and those gathered at the river's edge all sang the Star Spangled Banner (a capella). Then the various classes were sent off. Course was a loop on the river - which meant they had to paddle some legs in very stiff headwinds as well as against the current.

I had never seen a kayak race of any kind, so I was fascinated and particularly interested in watching technique. They all looked fabulous. There was also a nice class of junior racers. We saw the start, the racers pass by on the legs, and then the finish. Nothing in between (the river is curvy).

Had the weather allowed the start at Pickeral Lake as originally planned, it would have offered better viewing. There's much more room there and the course was circular in front of the beach, plus the portages were on the beach, then it continued through the Black Hole into Crooked Lake and then through the Alanson Locks (which were going to be kept open), ending at the Crooked River Lodge.

Makes me tired just thinking about it.

“Summer complaints”
That’s what a local cafe worker called them.

MONEY is what the downtown merchants association and City Council call them,

EASY TARGETS is what the bums call them.

Funny thing about weather forecasts…
I go to sailflow.com and it sucked this past winter but was pretty good last summer…another kayaker gave me that page…I went to it last week and I did not see any notes to small craft wind warnings and yet another power boater/kayaker’s friend told him to tell me there was a warning out…like I said funny thing…I watch the direction and knots and judge whether I can make it back to shore…that was a work day for me and I joked if i dont make it back in time, somebody would have to do my job… well it was a nicer crossing last week than it was yesterday because of wind direction and we still made out ok…novice powerboaters got some waves from my paddle due to speed in the channel… I had a friend with me who has not been out as much as I have but she will be this summer.

Yep everyone has access…
Rentals I am sure give a speech to renters…hey they want their yaks back intact and want return customers too!Stuff happens and it doesnt happen most of the time…we have alot of police presence in our island waters and alot of peeps watching all of us…

This time it’s locals:

– Last Updated: Jun-20-16 1:41 PM EST –

http://www.petoskeynews.com/featured-pnr/update-crews-rescue-passengers-on-large-canoe-one-stays-behind/article_58eddd02-36de-11e6-8603-cf7b0cdad7f7.htm

Winds are at 18 kt, gusting to 24 kt, wave height 3.6, dominant wave period of 2 seconds, water temp is 57.9F, per buoy data.

Wonder how long it will take the remaining paddler to make the trip and if the Coasties will stay with him all the way.

(Love the canoe icon on the map).

Can you see them?
From Legs Inn??? Would make quite a show to watch over pierogi & streudel…

While I respect their ambitions, my ancestors mined Copper in the upper peninsula, something I like learning about, but am scared to death of trying. Sometimes it is better to leave history in the past.

I wonder if they were Tribal members
I know the big canoe must have some sentimental and historical value but that’s not going to float it off the lake bottom.

Odawa.
Just watched the report of the six being brought to Harbor Springs by the USCG.

The paddle was an annual tradition of the band to celebrate the summer solstice on Beaver Island.

Waves were seven feet; they were on the water for ten hours. The seventh paddler, the guy who owns the 28-foot canoe, did make it back safely to land. Good for him.

Keeping tradition alive…
Traditionally, there wasn’t a 45 foot Coast Guard boat to bail out “wanna be” traditionalists.

I doubt most of the intrepid crew that “bailed” will ever “give it another go”.

BOB

yep
The Tribe likely has either its own motor-powered vessel or access to one through one of the members. Why not have someone accompany them in that?