Tow belt question

I wear a tow belt whether I’m solo or not, because I never know what hapless rec kayaker I might fall upon. And ever since I found that not-quite-wrecked canoe washed up on Lake Superior, I wear it.

I always wear the tow belt solo or not, except when I forget to bring it. It is just one more tool that might be helpful if things went wrong. You never know but what the heck, it is easy enough to just wear it. The last time I used it was to secure my kayak to a rock on the shore when we stopped for lunch. That way I didn’t have to babysit the Romany for every boat wake - that boat can be a heck of an escape artist.

But you need to practice self-rescue and rolling with the tow belt on if it’ll be regular equipment. Particularly for us shorter of height folks where it could be felt more than for a 6 ft tall guy.

I find that it doesn’t even interfere with reverse roll laybacks when I wear it in back, although it might on kayaks with a higher back deck then the Romany/Explorer

Not sure how tall you are. But at 5 ft 3.5 inches, I feel it being there in certain roll positions. I swing the bag to my rear to paddle because I find it can reduce how well I tuck to the foredeck for my basic setup position. And it is more out of the way for a Cowboy if it is in back.

I tower a massive 3.5 inches over you. My standard roll is a reverse sweep or Steyr roll, so nothing must interfere with that.

Did the guy have any training/experience towing? Why didn’t he have his own tow belt? It isn’t rocket science, but there are some hazards and techniques one should be aware of before clipping into a tether. Once learned isn’t much reason not to make it part or your regularly worn gear.

I’m glad to hear that your creativity saved the day though.

@Sparky961
He was experienced and a good paddler. Don’t know why he didn’t have one. I paddled today and didn’t wear mine because I forgot to put it in my gear bag after drying out the line and repacking it.

Sometimes I think back to the simplicity of my first paddling outings, when I knew nothing and carried only a water bottle (but did always wear a PFD). Now I’ve got all this stuff that needs to be carried - and that’s just for day touring. Can’t imagine the list for overnights.

Once in a while I revert and paddle here at home carrying just water. The good old days revisited, albeit in a much different kayak and hopefully better technique.

@Rookie said:
@Sparky961
He was experienced and a good paddler. Don’t know why he didn’t have one. I paddled today and didn’t wear mine because I forgot to put it in my gear bag after drying out the line and repacking it.

Sometimes I think back to the simplicity of my first paddling outings, when I knew nothing and carried only a water bottle (but did always wear a PFD).

And didn’t do silly, unnecessary stuff like drying out your towbag line after your freshwater paddle outing? :wink:

@Rookie said:
Once in a while I revert and paddle here at home carrying just water. The good old days revisited, albeit in a much different kayak and hopefully better technique.

I can relate to this nostalgia. It would seem the minimum gear I can go with is: boat, paddle 2x, PFD, hat, skirt, tow belt/pigtail, and water if I haven’t forgotten it at home. That’s in good weather on a small river or pond. I don’t feel right without some emergency overnight gear and other miscellany when I head out on Lake Huron.

@qajaqman said:

@Rookie said:
@Sparky961

Sometimes I think back to the simplicity of my first paddling outings, when I knew nothing and carried only a water bottle (but did always wear a PFD).

And didn’t do silly, unnecessary stuff like drying out your towbag line after your freshwater paddle outing? :wink:

When the line and bag are wet, I dry both out. Easy peasy when you have a clothesline.

@Sparky961 said:

@Rookie said:

I can relate to this nostalgia. It would seem the minimum gear I can go with is: boat, paddle 2x, PFD, hat, skirt, tow belt/pigtail, and water if I haven’t forgotten it at home. That’s in good weather on a small river or pond. I don’t feel right without some emergency overnight gear and other miscellany when I head out on Lake Huron.

The basics, plus duct tape, knife, etc. in one bag out of habit when I was paddling only a thermoform kayak. First aid kit, extra pair of sunglasses, Leatherman in another. Wondered if it was just excess baggage until a couple of weeks ago. I had sliced my index finger during food prep then paddled the next day. All good until I noticed red spots on my gray deck. The “waterproof” bandage had given way and the cut was bleeding heavily. All over my boat with each stroke, plus in the water. Made it to shore and was glad I carried that first aid kit. Also glad Lake Michigan is shark free. :slight_smile:

@Rookie said:

When the line and bag are wet, I dry both out. Easy peasy when you have a clothesline.

But not really necessary. Just trying to help you simplify your routine because you were opining for the old simple days. I have never dried out my towbag, EVER. Its still like new, no mold, no corrosion, no damage…