Tow rope, throw rope...

thank you!
I like it.

THANK YOU ALL!
That’s the information I was looking for.

Thanks.

you can… BUT
having one line (no ropes on a boat) that does multiple jobs is like owning a multi-tool.

It saves space and weight and bulk, but any tool that does two jobs, does neither well!

If you plan to do any rescuing or towing, it may be better to have seperate lines designed for each job.

I know this upsets the ultra-light people, but hey! A 12’ kayak can easily carry a load that will kill a backpacker so why not take advantage?

“If you plan to do any rescuing or towing, it may be better to have seperate lines designed for each job.”

Let’s see. I don’t “plan” to do any rescue. I’m not a guide. I’m just your average paddling buddy.

But if someone goes in for a drink, I might happen to be the nearest boater who can throw a rope…

That’s primarily what I’m thinking of, NEED not want. To me, a rope (towing or throwing) is not a fashion statements. It’s their function that I’m concern with. The answer seems to be, there’re ropes that can do both.

I see ropes as an entry ticket to the more serious paddling outings. (if I’m doing tricky water, I want my buddy to have a rope too! In case I need help)