Towing Techniques

would have emailed-but you no have
Virginia Sea Kayak Center

1245-G Cedar Road, #128

Chesapeake, VA 23322

(757) 567-3342

www.virginiaseakayakcenter.com

thanks!
I tracked down a local phone book, but couldn’t even find it there. How’d you find it?

secret…
both a handshake and a wink and two nods…

EE vs NW
As said above EE has many features you’ll end up paying for if you buy the NW. The only concern about the EE is that there is no bungee. I’ll have to try it before I decide to sell my (now found) NW.

Have other EE owners had a problem or discomfort from the lack of bungee in conditions?

Lyn

Bungees
Like most everything in kayaking, there are competing schools of thought on the use of shock cords (bungees) in tow systems.

Many instructors are now recommending not to utilize a shock cord on a tow system. The reason is recoil. If the shock cord is extended, at some point it is going to want to pull the boats back together, and whichever of the two boaters is lighter is going to be pulled either forward or backward into the other boater. I was skeptical about that thought, until I witnessed it in a 5-star training. A young woman (who weighed probably no more than 130), was towing a much larger boater in the surf and she was pulled back towards his boat which was surfing towards her, almost resulting in a nasty collision.

My rig does have a shock cord, so I can’t vouch for the difference, but every paddler there seemed to feel there was no substantial difference in towing without the bungee…the inherent stretch in the rope was enough to reduce serious jarring.

One other advantage to no bungee is a savings in bulk and weight, making the tow system smaller and easier to stow.

Great reply, thanks! NM*