towing-waist belt vs deck mounted

Not quite "hypothetical"
I’ve done a fair amount of towing practice/training in varying conditions and I’ve seen all of the problems I’ve described and more. As with most problems, they seem to occur when you can least afford them, which usually means in high winds and rough water, when you can only afford to take one hand off your paddle.

I have yet to see or experience a single problem with a WELL-DESIGNED waist tow. There are some poorly designed products out there (tiny bags that can’t be easily re-stuffed, overly complex, floats that get in the way, etc.), but it’s easy to find out who makes good ones from the discussions here and elsewhere.

That’s why I only use waist tows.

And, as has been mentioned…
…in other discussions, the downsides are that the higher mounting point puts much more stress on one’s body and they can’t be easily shared with other paddlers. In all the towing I’ve done, I have yet to experience any significant discomfort from a waist tow rig, as long as it has a bungee shock absorber in it. Having it around my PFD would be of no benefit.

Counterpoints

– Last Updated: May-16-08 7:56 AM EST –

"Backing up- arguably better with the deck mount. Often used in an emergency situation (backing up tow), the biggest issue I find is the very sudden jolt when under full power. Deck tow- no jolt to the body. The line? it goes past your waist, with little or no annoyance. Disagree? Then you haven't tried it. Worry about the pressure of the line past your waist? And what do you call a waist tow?"

Considering that a waist tow will pivot around one's waist to align toward the towed boat, the advantage is obvious. There's also a difference between having a 2" belt around your waist vs. a 1/4"-3/8" line digging into it. However, the overall differences here are minor.

"Snagging. A deck tow seems, to me, to have been less of a problem. It lies low, and stays on one side of the stern."

That's not necessarily a good thing, particularly if the towed boat drifts off to the wrong side. At best, it compromises directional control and at worst, it can result in the tow rope getting pulled under the towing boat, which is dangerous (I have seen these things happen). With a waist rig, one can reach the rope easily to lift it over the stern, if need be.

"Waist tows, starting from a higher point, frequently slide from one side of the stern to the other."

I would argue that's a benefit, not a disadvantage. The rope aligns with the towed boat, providing better directional control.

"Fairly minor, in either case;"

No, it can be a considerable problem.

"that is more of an issue of what kind of junk you have on your rear deck."

Agreed. Cluttered aft decks are a serious problem in towing and rescue situations. Spare paddles and tall deck bags are the worst offenders, with bilge pumps being a close third. Actually, rudders are often the biggest problem, though they're technically not "clutter".

"Yaw. A fairlead that is mounted ahead of the rear hatch does not increase yaw. It does, in a minor fashion, anchor the stern a bit like a partially deployed skeg."

What's the difference? If the stern is "anchored" and you're trying to turn, it's a problem.

"A waist tow allow a bit more response to stern rudders, a deck tow a bit less. No real big issue with either, just an awareness issue."

I disagree with the last sentence, but it's also a matter of the design of the deck rig.

"Ability to hand off a tow belt to someone else is often mentioned. In all my years, I have not done that, and question reasons why. If another person doesn't have a tow belt, that is an issue of safety if they haven't had training in using it. Handing a tow belt to a person who is unfamiliar with the use, and potential hazards, especially in a real situation, is asking for big trouble. Think about it..."

That's true, IF you're dealing with inexperienced paddlers. However it's often easier, faster and safer to exchange a tow belt with another experienced paddler than to unclip and re-rig a tow, stow the original tow line, etc. This is especially true with assisted tows and I've done it on several occasions. The fewer lines in the water, the better, regardless of the towing method.

I've also been in situations where experienced paddlers left their tow rigs in the car or in their day hatch, making swapping the only option.

"Handing a waist tow to someone in benign conditions, for training purposes, that is a a valid and useful situation."

Handing it to someone when you're exhausted from towing is an even MORE valid situation.

"Stowing/redeploying. Hands down,a well designed waist tow is far superior. In bumpy seas, repackaging a deck tow can be near impossible without rafting up."

Agreed, though I have seen one-handed stowing of deck rigs, though it generally required use of the paddler's teeth to hold the bag. ;-)

"Snagging. Not mentioned is the the danger to a person under tow, when the tower has to eject. The person under tow now has a sea anchor (the bag), and this can become an issue around rock, kelp, etc. The deck tow leaves a clean end. Much safer."

You lost me here. Every deck rig I've seen has some form of a bag that's attached to the rope at the towing boat end and it goes into the water if the tow is released. How is that any different from a waist rig, other than being a bit smaller?

"Ejecting. Using a waist tow, understanding the importance of a correct emergency disconnect is rarely addressed- and it has been a culprit in real world incidents. It is not enough to simply pull the rip cord. You must grab the bag, and toss it as far as you can -and to the side of the stern that it is already lying alongside!! I can count numerous times, in tide races, that I have seen the bag snag the stern toggle. This is no joke. The deck tow, remember, has a clean end. Nothing to snag."

Once again, you must be talking about some kind of rig I've never seen, as everything you say applies to deck mounted rigs with attached bags.

"The deck tow, BTW, I find easier to release than a waist tow."

That's probably because you don't use the latter. I'd call this one a toss-up.

I think the bottom line here is that either type of tow rig can work well. If it's properly designed AND you practice with it, you're not likely to get into trouble. Beyond that, it boils down to personal preference. If nothing else, we've identified the issues so others can make informed choices.