toyota Echo vs what?

more and more
I am looking at my little Echo and thinking that it has worked fine taking a 19 foot SOF to Connecticut from Florida, back and forth to Orlando, Raleigh, Naples, the Keys etc with at least two boats (sometimes 3). It seems to be mechanically sound and I could probably get another two years or so out of her…So. I am not finding anything that is just jumping out at me as being a tremendous advantage over what I have. thanks to all for your input. don’t really know what I want so will sit back on my duff and wait it out (or the toyota dies) before making any radical decisions.

Paul

uncomfortable back seat
I know about that infamous Subaru backseat. I’ve ridden quite a bit in the back of those, and it’s not something that leggy people with long torsos should have to endure. One of the Honda salesmen thought it was quite funny that I had him drive me around in the Element, with me sitting in the back, but I wanted to be sure that my adult passengers would be comfortable. So far, the only complaint I’ve had from backseat passengers is about the way the rear doors can’t be opened until the front doors are opened, and how that makes getting out frequently, or in crowded spaces difficult. It’s a fair complaint, and one that families really need to consider if considering this model.

ideal land yacht
that car with one of the super duper turbo 4cylinder diesels showing up in Europe,Ford/Peugeot has a prototype 2.2l turbo diesel that gets 200hp, 300ft/bls of torqe at 1700 rpm. I bet a Ford Taurus sized wagon with even better aerodynamics and that engine would be great.

Cut and Paste
Cut and paste seems to work. Clicking on sends one to a “forbidden” place.

Car dealers love shoppers…
… who wait until they NEED a car NOW! L

1999 Forester
25 mpg with two kayaks on top. Only work ever done beside oil changes, etc, was one clutch adjustment. A very comfortable car to ride in on trips. I wish the milage were better but I would buy it again. The dealer said it would tow 2000 lbs on a trailer. There are cheaper rides out there but all wheel drive is very useful if it ever snows it again.

I considered all wheel drive, but
decided in Southeast Texas it would be a waste. Brasil lives in a similar climate, so it probably isn’t a real consideration for him. Now, if all wheel would really help when it comes a downpour and your vehicle is parked where the dirt track becomes a wet thick soupy mixture in minutes, it may be worht it.

Prius
Talk to me when gas hits $4. The battery issue will be taken care of by warranty. They have an 150K warranty. In that span of time the cost of the battery will drop significantly. With the geopolitical climate as it is it won’t be that long before we see the $4 price. Gas in LI when I was last down there was $3.19 for regular.

FishHawk

Kevin
as the Yaris is a new model it might be a little while before the rack folks get something listed for it.They might have something that will fit already.Try shooting them an email.

all wheel drive
The one regret I have with the Element, is that I paid extra to get AWD. It’s really not needed in the SE. If I lived in the mtns, yeah, sure. But, in the piedmont and down east, it’s just more parts to break. For years, front wheel drive was all I had, and it’s still all I need. That, and a $13 come-along will get you out of most normally encountered situations. AWD on vehicles with less than a foot of ground clearance is really only useful in heavy rains and light snows. It won’t do anything in heavy mud or on ice. And low ground clearance doesn’t work on sand. So, what’s the point of it in the SE US?

AWD in NC
Agree with above post. I’ve spent a lot of time winter mountaineering in CA, and lived in Montana and Wisconsin, so know what winter driving is like. For the most part, in NC Triad East, AWD doesn’t help on ice (stay home), and it rarely snow enough that a Volvo with traction control or FWD isn’t enough for someone with a bit of experience driving in snow. Or stay home, which is what most folks do. On the other hand, I go to Asheville from Durham a couple of times a month, and I drive an Audi Allroad. Not great gas milege but it is a very comfortable car and great on snowy/icy roads. It is also a true wagon, which means unlike an SUV it is relatively easy to load kayaks. Audi’s last forever (though they are expensive to repair) and you can often pick up a used Allroad as a good deal (try CarMax) sold by folks moving to the SE from the NE. Last year, I thought about trading mine on on a hybrid Toyata Highlander, and decided to keep the Audi. It’ll be a while before the premium for a new car/hybrid falls enough to justify a new car.