Trak 2.0 - what's NOT to like about it

@rival151
Costco member price is $2,999.99

So $600 cheaper than what it costs to by directly from Trak

wow - if that & the delivery time is legit it may explain why @Sparky961 kayak keeps being delayed. And that was at full price.

Many online places, including big box stores, list products from third parties that they donā€™t actually sell. I suspect that Costco is the same. Iā€™d want confirmation that people can actually get it through that channel before I got upset. And if that confirmation was received, upset I would certainly get.

As for the price, Iā€™d have to run all the numbers but there was a different price I paid being a Canadian in Canada. With the currency conversion I donā€™t think the Costco price is a lot better than what I paid. I donā€™t know all the reasons, but shipping and border hassles would account for some legitimate difference.

@Sparky961 No, Costco does not list products from third parties.

Thatā€™s fine.

But like I said, Iā€™d want evidence from someone who actually purchased it this way before I got all excited about it.

I would also be concerned about customer service from the manufacturer from a brand name from a ā€œboutiqueā€ maker bought through a discounter. I have in the past seen PakBoat folding kayaks listed as for sale through Walmart. When I mentioned that to the owner of the US Pakboat franchise he was not aware of having sold any boats through them.

Just came back here to get the latest and when I clicked the supplied link above it said ā€œProduct not Foundā€

Sounds like your experience so far.

Sure, rub it in. :stuck_out_tongue:

So now the Trak 2.0 became a ā€œbig box storeā€ boat? :thinking: :upside_down_face:

Nope.

I have lost track of where this post is tracking about Trak leaving people Trakless.

2 Likes

Well, lets see how this works, I bought the Trak from Costco this morning. I got a order confirmation but still no shipping email.

I am not the kind of person willing to wait for something I want, I buy it, I want it nowā€¦more or less anyway, a few days/weeks I will wait. A month or more, it better be special at a major discount. If Costco canā€™t deliver then I will cancel.

I recently changed cars and lost my ability to transport either of my kayaks, I have never seen a Trak in person or paddled a Trak but I have been watching them since the very first Kickstarter and been thinking about them for a long time. The reviews are good, maybe too good to be true, but I would not buy from them.

I still need to order a sea sock from Trak so we will see how that works but maybe the floatation will be enough. I have been paddling off and on since the mid-1970ā€™s and while I tend to paddle by myself, I have not been very safety conscious, generally have been paddling offshore without safety anything and last time I rolled a kayak (on purpose or for fun) was 30 or so years ago, doubt I could do it now. So, if this Trak actually comes in, I will be asking for help (in other threads of course). I will report back if I actually get this boat.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

I know that weā€™ll all be watching for your next report.

Iā€™ve used folding kayaks (mostly Feathercrafts, which were of similar high end quality to Traks) for 18 years. Iā€™ve always had sea socks, which were standard equipment with the $3300 to $5000 Feathercrafts and also have one that came with a custom made skin on frame kayak. Honestly, I have only used the socks twice and hated the experience both times. They complicate entering and exiting the boat and interfere with positioning your feet on the foot pegs. They also make it difficult to get a proper seal with your spray skirt ā€“ this is probably the biggest argument against them If you have a sea sock stuck on the coaming under your skirt it is nearly guaranteed to allow more water into the boat than if you were not using it at all because you will have a lousy seal.

And if you do get a substantial amount of water in the cockpit while using the sock, it is a real pain to pump it out. The socks also cling to your legs and make them hot and sweaty in warm and even moderate weather. There may be people who use a sea sock as a matter of course but I have never met one.

The only use I can see for a seas sock is if you were taking a long open water trip with gear stored in dry bags inside the hull cavities and wanted backup to keep them from potentially getting damp (which would only happen if the dry bags didnā€™t seal well) or if you were expecting to be far off shore and constantly being swamped with waves without the ability to pump out. But if most of the volume of the inside of the hull is filled with inflation bags, and you can roll the kayak rather than having to wet exit, it is not going to fill up. .

Properly inflated flotation bags of sufficient volume and a well-fitted spray skirt will keep your boat from being swamped better than a sea sock, for the reasons I explain.

So you are OK with the possibility that if you actually receive a boat it might not be covered by warranty or have any factory support? And that only 2 ā€œreviewsā€ on the Costco listing are a manufacturer cut-and-paste and a joke?

You are braver than me. I, too, will be watching with interest as to your outcome.

I assume it will be covered by warranty but even if not, the cost of parts will be minor if they are needed.
I will check the boat out intensely when it arrives and make sure its all good, if the quality of these boats is as good as they say, once I check it out I assume there will be nothing wrong. And really, if there is something wrong and Trak does not cover, I donā€™t see why they would not, its not like Costco is a small store and if they sold to Costco, I expect they will cover it unlike some mom-pop place, but what does a aluminum tube cost ? what does some part cost ? compared to the cost of the boat, its likely to be super minor.

I actually didnā€™t even read the reviews on Costco, I saw it was much less expensive and supposedly will be here this week, that was good enough for me. NOW will Costco cancel it ? do they actually have one ? I doubt they do and doubt they will ship and I will find a used boat, I am not willing to wait as long as some people are.

There was an exchange on the Folding Kayaks forum a couple years back about the problems that a Trak owner was having with the sea sock not working. Here is the link:

http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=7527

If I were to change my mind with this company within the 90 day period, I would have a notarized copy made and send the original by certified mail in plenty of time to insure that it arrived within the 90 day period.

Do they say how long a refund should take once they receive a request?

Costco says on their site that because they are not an authorized dealer you may not be covered by Trakā€™s warranty, only Costcoā€™s.

unless this entire add etc was put on their page by a Nigerian Princess or her agentsā€¦

1 Like