transparent boat

Are you referring to me as a doubter?
If you were referring to me, show me a window-clear boat made of fiberglass, because that’s the only thing I expressed doubt about.

you’re not getting it. I just showed you

– Last Updated: May-14-14 2:49 PM EST –

reality.

I just posted a video of two guys in a clear boat, describing the dolphin they see through the hull. If you think a verbose written description of a physics principle is more relevant than this video when it comes to the quality of view through a clear hulled boat, that's your issue.

I guess I give people here credit for knowing what happens when they look through a curved surface. Most of us do it every day on the commute to and from work.

that’s not true
Twenty-four minutes before you posted this, you doubted an actual video I posted to you to illustrate the quality of view through a clear hulled boat. Even though the two paddlers seem to think they’re getting a decent view.

window
finding a stable hull with a flat bottom or flat vee bottom then adding a viewable hard transparent window section is DIY or more$ with current compatible adhesives/epoxies.

yes/no ?

YES

– Last Updated: May-14-14 7:49 PM EST –

if you are game, cut out a small section from the bottom of a composite kayak and replace it with some clear polycarbonate (Lexan). You can even cold bend it a bit if needed along the V keel of the hull. Decent epoxy will seal it (in a pinch silicon, but it will be so much harder to clean up later, if needed).
If the experiment does not work/don't like it, you can always replace the section you cut out and glass it back. A bit of gelcoat and the kayak is as good as before.
There remains the problem of preventing scratches.
One could use tempered glass (maybe even safety glass) for better scratch resistance but no bending there.
Now, how do you feel looking between your legs for a long time? kind of makes me dizzy if there is any movement on the water...

one more choice
You could choose to paddle on crystal clear water like Lake Mohave (Az/Nv) where you can see so far down it’s spooky–and you don’t need a window.

Practicality of a trasparent boat

– Last Updated: May-24-14 8:03 AM EST –

In regards to the initial post response "The first may be a barge, but it is pretty clear. The 2nd will have thwarts obscuring the view".... The first two are the same boat.

I've owned one of the completely transparent boats for about 7 years now and have used it an average of twice a week for those 7 years. What specifically would you like to know?
As for the comment about motor boats possibly not being able to see you... I live on the ICW in south FL and there is a lot of boat traffic on the weekends down here. I go out almost every day and have never had someone almost run me over because they didn't see me. On the other hand though, I wouldn't just take it for granted that people will see you. You never know what could be distracting some ones attention while they are driving a boat. Best just to get out of peoples way instead of assuming they will go around you.
In regards to the many comments about viewing being "distorted". The bottom of the completely transparent canoes is mostly flat so no real distortion. The sides are curved and there is some distortion. Bottom line, the view isn't perfect but you will still see more in a transparent canoe that one that is not. It's not complicated and doesn't need to be made out to be complicated. No body is saying you will be able to take award winning pictures through one.
In regards to the comments about scratches. Yes, scratches on the bottom wont affect visibility once you put it on the water. Yes, even a little sand on the inside will scratch it up. You really need to baby one of these if you want it to remain unscratched. And no, they aren't really any good for rental operations. People that rent something will never be as careful in it as people that own one. You could use clear bath mats and other precautions to keep them from getting banged up in a rental operation, but in the end, they just aren't going to last long at a rental.
As for toughness... they are tough as hell. I've rammed mine into docks, knocked it off the truck in a parking garage (not to eager to admit that), ran over countless oyster beds and logs, dripped gas and oil in the back of it from an outboard motor I use on it occasionally.
If you have some paddling skills and balance you can stand up and paddle in one as I do in mine even in rough water or as large boat wakes pass under.