Transporting a kayak ...

Update …
Based on the sage advice here, I’ve decided to rent a kayak once I get to Florida instead of trying to transport my QCC. That gives me time to step back and come up with a safer, saner way to do it the next time I want to travel with my boat. Thanks, y’all.

don’t rent
You’ve got that pretty new boat, and I’m sure you’re looking forward to paddling it. Instead of spending $50 on a rental boat, just go get an 8’ 2x3 from the lumber yard, and an 8’ 2x4. Cut the 2x3 in half, and trim down the ends a little so they fit in your front stake pockets nice and snug. Cut the 2x4 to length, and Carriage bolt the 2x4 to the uprights. Use that with your receiver hitch thingy, or just make another stake-pocket rack for the back. That’s what I use on my Tundra. I made mine with a 2x6 cross, and notched the top of the uprights so the weight isn’t on the carriage bolts, and I use that to carry lots of weight and it’s perfect. For carrying a hundred pounds or so the simpler construction I described above would be plenty. To make it easier to load, make your rear rack about a foot lower than your front rack.

If you want
to paddle on Sun. 21st I can loan you a boat. KK