Transporting in a pick-up truck

link didn’t work
but that’s OK. I guess the take home message here is that I wasn’t thinking AT ALL outside of the box and that there are many ways that I can achieve my goal. I’m going to be looking at a few older trucks and see which is nicest.

Bed Extender
I really like my Bed Extender, but I quit using it for my 18’ kayak. Too much overhang. Also, when you go around a right angle turn, a lot of boat swings out into traffic. Now, I generally just use my trailer.

boat transport
Carrying boats in a pick up bed is a sign of not taking the sport seriously. Boats can be hauled on a variety of contraptions on the roof or on a trailer.

When I picked up my kayak
at the shop the guy looked at my truck and said “excellent, you are ready” and put it in the bed - so it wouldn’t warp.

Depends on the model.

Your method may vary.

Some of the launch areas I use I really, really don’t want to towing a trailer… nor trying to re load a kayak onto a rack way up in the air on a non level parking spot.

Too serious
Are you suggesting that an old woman who has trouble loading her yak on the J-racks on her SUV and chooses to borrow her hubby’s PU to drive the 12 miles to the water can’t be serious about the sport?

Which part of his post confuses you?

Truck
We have 10 foot kayaks w/an 8ft bed truck. We just put the kayaks in the back of the truck with 2 feet sticking out although they are on an angle so it’s probably a little less. My husband put U bolts in the ends of the kayaks and we run a cable through them to keep them together and tied/locked to the truck. We drove all the way from MD to Florida and back last year like this with ZERO problems. I realize yours is 4 ft longer so you may want to tie a little rag to the end that is sticking out but it shouldn’t be a problem… if you don’t want to go thru the trouble of building a rack. We can’t have a rack on my husbands truck because he uses it for work and I’m getting a CRV that gets much better gas mileage so hopefully we can use that from now on.

wood framing ladder beam

place over roof, over bed gate or bed proper

support at roof with post or narrow stud wall, a cross 2x4 at rear

I do not know how light the rig can go but 1x with metal angles should do it weigh maybe 30 pounds ?

a narrow vertical stud wall with a top vee holding hull and a horizontal 2x4 side to side at bed top for the roof’s end ?

usually we see the bed carry done as a careless expediency not as a designed capacity. almost never.

I offered one puzzled bedman a rope but he didnah get the joke.

a few days ago
walked past an extruded aero shaped aluminum bed rig at roof height of fairly light front and rear stand alones without diagonals…an elegant and polished !rig.

I did not get the name.

The rig would stop you for the lightness exceeds standards. Possibly from an ultralight fabricator.

Perhaps he has short-bed syndrome
… or long bed envy ?

Why waste effort on a selfie- worthy loading display of how much yak you can deadlift, squat, or whatever, when you actually need it in the last mile on the water, hours later.

That must be it…
Or he is too young yet to appreciate the aches and pains that will come later in life that make old folks look for easier ways to do things so they still have enough oomph left to have some fun.

WHAT?

– Last Updated: Apr-13-15 10:39 AM EST –

"Carrying boats in a pick up bed is a sign of not taking the sport seriously." BS! I have a Yakima Outdoorsman: http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/158982474/large
but take it off occasionally to use my truck for other purposes. For my shorter canoes I occasionally will leave the rack off and slide it in the bed. As a matter of fact, even WITH my rack on, I will sometimes just use the bed if winds are high and I am shuttling multiple boats.

I have a carpet-like bed liner so that keeps the canoes safe: http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/159733079
Before I had that, I would use foam pads, etc. IMHO 15' or so is about the limit of a 6' bed without an extender.

But racks can be expensive and not every person is a "Handyman" who can make their own. So what, I don't look down my nose at them.

Been paddling canoes since the '70's, but guess since I sometimes just slide them in the bed I'm not "Serious?" Then again, maybe I DON'T "Take the sport seriously" because it's about relaxation for me; it's not "Serious" business!

Thank you!
Ditto that last bit!

the premise
Why would someone use a truck built to haul stuff to haul stuff when someone makes a add on to bolt to a vehicle that isnt made to haul stuff or hook to a trailer for added expense, maint., and aggravation to store, not to mention the learning curve to safely operate.

I can throw every boat in my fleet (2 canoes 16’+17’ and 3 kayaks 17.5’ 15’ and 14.5’) in the bed of my pickup at the same time. They will not be damaged, they will ride legal, safe, and secure. I have done it more than once and while not as serious as some folk here, I put a fair amount of miles on a year.

Hauling in a truck
I also used to haul in a Ranger extended cab w/6’ bed and camper shell. The shell had the Yakima rain gutter mounts. I had two different complete racks set to haul kayaks on Hully rollers/saddles and two canoes on 78" bars. They could be mounted in 5 minutes. The Ranger died and was replaced with a F150 crew cab. I inquired on another forum (F150 Forum)about a rack as I don’t want to have my boats destroyed by some one driving distracted. They recommended a rack w/58" bars. I don’t think two canoes will fit on that short of a rack. If I remove a rack from the cab will it scratch the paint? I would have gotten a camper shell like I had before but I’m afraid the bow of the canoe will hit the cab. It’s a shame that Ford doesn’t make a factory rack for the F150 as most people that I see are using them for a car. I put a fold up bed cover so I could lock the bed. I also do not take the sport serious. It’s relaxation.

78" Bars
If you want the ability to haul two boats without them rubbing each other better to have longer rack. If you would never ever haul more than one boat, the 54" would work, but why take a chance?

I think redmond was pulling some legs

So if you don’t take it seriously
ppine was right.

I don’t see a reason to be pissy about it

Who’s pissy?
So why does ppine get his/her knickers in a twist about how people transport their kayaks in the first place and feel a need to judge people who do transport in a PU bed?

Orvis
fisherman. Harley driver.

If you dont do it his way, with the same gear, you are a amature.