Traveling speed with kayak on car

Uprights or J bars kayak on its side
Hi

My preference is to mount the kayak on edge using either J-bars or uprights. Basically like this you can strap it tighter without damage, it doesn’t tend to wander from side to side and I believe, although I have no proof is more aerodynamic because a lot of air is kicked up by the windscreen and with the kayak on edge you are presenting less surface area to this air.

As for speed, The politically correct stance would be “as fast as local speed restrictions and conditions allow” My own view “As fast as I would go without the kayak” The one proviso being that I always check my roof-rack mounts every time I tie my kayaks on, I’ve certainly done some long trips with speeds in excess of 100mph with no issues (not that I’m recommending or condoning such behaviour)

Peter

I must be getting mellow
in my 357 dog years old. I suppose I could travel long distances with my Loon 138 on my fiberglass topper at 75 or more, but why? It’s too stressful. I seldom excede 65 with the yak and tend to be more around 60 or less with the travel trailer in addition. I schedule my travels so I don’t have to arrive at my destination as a bundle of tension. I’m probably too slow about getting stuff loaded and on the water, too. Then, I tend to lillydip around rather than straight line paddle. Different strokes…

Taj

90 with no bow tie downs
but the boats do sit in the truck bed, so I doubt thay are going anywhere.

80 with a 16’-10" touring boat
on a Suby OB. Yakima lowriders & Malone J-cradles, bow & stern tiedowns.

I do not normally drive this fast, but I have hit 80 when outracing a semi. Strangely enough, I have experienced the worst buffeting not from semis, but during a nor’easter with winds at about 2:00.

Nowadays I am a MPG hound, and have backed off from the posted limits, especially in mountainous areas with a 70 mph limit.

Jim

I’ve gone over 90 for a short period
with very secure tie-downs.